Allowing a field stone foundation to breathe? Can i re-point?

Old 01-17-14, 03:04 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Smile Allowing a field stone foundation to breathe? Can i re-point?

Hi All,

This is my first post, this forum has been very useful to me in the past!

I want to re-point a field stone basement foundation (to avoid smells, insects and bats entering), the stone was never given a mortar, I'm wondering.. why they didn't? I'm worried it was for a reason.

My question is: If i go ahead and use a lime mortar and re-point, will i be restricting the buildings ability to breath? Or anything else i have not thought of. It is a 100 y/o + barn / building made from wood with a dirt floor I also intend to finish soon.

The ground level is in the photo shown by an arrow. Thank you in advance - G

Name:  repoint.jpg
Views: 2680
Size:  37.4 KB

Old 01-17-14, 06:35 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
It's not really re-pointing if no mortar was there in the first place. It sure looks like a lot of work. Has anything been entering, through the wall?

Old 01-18-14, 06:13 AM
G
Hi Pulpo,

The only things entering have been bats, which my wife adores.

It is a lot of work, I'm just wondering if insects and smells come through the large gaps in-between some of the larger stones.

Maybe I should finish the floor first, block obvious bat entry holes after they leave and see how that effects the musk smell down there? Maybe there is no real point besides aesthetics.

Do you see any issues with doing it, like the building breathing?

What would you suggest?

Thanks

G

Old 01-18-14, 06:41 AM
Group Moderator
Received 659 Upvotes on 559 Posts
Not sure if this is of any help, buy check this video: Insulation, Foundation | Ask TOH Episodes | Ask This Old House TV | This Old House Go to scene 4.

Old 01-18-14, 09:42 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I don't see a problem with the stone breathing.

Old 01-18-14, 05:21 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Update: Take a look at this weeks This Old House. The second section involves a cellar just like yours.

Old 01-19-14, 03:08 PM
E
Anybody else think it was funny that he turned his nose up at a past DIY effort to patch a section of the wall because it used a harder Portland-based mortar that was incompatible with the original stuff, then proceeded to whip up a batch of pre-mix type S from the local big box store?

Last edited by eharri3; 01-19-14 at 04:51 PM.
Old 01-21-14, 04:42 PM
G
OK, so Lime mortar for this old stone application! To avoid cracks during movements, right? Anyone have a favorite recipe specific to field stone & sub floor basements? I would like to live in / use this room. I have heard of 1 part lime to three parts sharp sand, one part cement?

Questions;

1. What proportions do YOU advise?
2. What is this business of leaving the lime in water for a while? one person even mentioned weeks!
3. I picked up a bag of lime at the local co-op It does have a "general" recipe: sand, lime and a small amount of cement. It makes no mention of curing the lime, how come?
4. Any need for elmers glue, or adhesive to help it stick?
5. Should i brush it off with a large wet brush to smooth the finish, how long after should i do that?

Pulpo and Ironhand.. This old house was amazing as usual, and the simplicity with which the basement floor was finished gave the boss (Mrs) much confidence in the whole idea.. So pleased this season is back finishing a non-Scandinavian house, especially in my neck of the woods.

Thanks again!!

G

Old 01-21-14, 06:15 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
eharri3, I know what you're saying since Type S is harder than Portland.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: