Front Porch brick settling

Old 02-09-14, 09:16 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Front Porch brick settling

My front porch has settling and the brick is separating. This has been visible for a number of years, but it appears that it has gotten worse. Hiring a professional is inevitable, but was looking to gain some knowledge on the issue first.

My house is on a crawl and when I go under it, the cement brick foundation appears to end before the porch. The porch has a cement floor and matching brick facade similar to the rest of the house. I have brick separation on the front of the porch bricks and sides, but not around the rest of the house. I have a porch roof that appears to be applying pressure on the corners of the porch and settling. There is drainage problems around the house that will also need to be addressed. I've attached a couple of pics and was wondering how difficult/costly something like this might be. Thank you.

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-14, 01:26 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Looks like a failing footing, or it's washing out.
Mud jacking could lift it back in place so it could be tuck pointed to repair the gaps.

Old 02-10-14, 01:42 AM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
if you can crawl under the house, you can certainly pull a tape measure behind you & determine exactly where the supporting wall's located my bet's its under the front wall of the house & there's no foundation under the crawl space,,, there's no way to get under the front porch ?

i'd probably suggest a concrete underpinning - not sure there's enough bearing surface for pressure grouting,,, but i've been wrong before remember back in '06 - nah, that story's for another forum

ps - ceement is 1 of concrete's ingredients ( its a plastic mixture of ceement, fine aggregate [sand], coarse aggregate [crushed rock], & water that transforms itself into a solid thru an exothermic reaction ! )

lettuce know how you make out good luck !

Old 02-10-14, 02:21 PM
B
Porch settling

No, there's no way to get under the porch. The foundation wall stops at the front door. Have JES foundation repair coming out tommorow and will see what they say. Thanks for the info.

Old 02-10-14, 02:36 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
I would say a good time to combine the landscaping (drainage issues) and the porch repair. Very common IMO to cut this corner and skip the proper support. It should have had a footing and frost wall just like the house and then fill the space under the porch slab with compacted gravel. Of course that is where they usually dispose of all of the scrap wood (termite food).

Let us know what the quote is, but brace yourself.

Bud

Old 02-10-14, 10:55 PM
And in the FWIW department, "ceement" is not a word, and "lettuce" is a leafy vegetable. Quite tasty in a salad, actually, especially with my home-made croutons.

But on the serious side--if you listen carefully to the foundation repair "experts" coming out to give you a quote, and take good notes, there's a good chance you can perform the corrective work yourself. With help from a few of us on this forum, of course, should any questions come up. And save a big bundle of $$$ in the process.

Old 02-11-14, 03:43 AM
B
Porch settling

Thanks bridgeman! I will keep you guys posted. Take care.

Old 02-11-14, 01:06 PM
B
Porch concrete pad settling

The foundation repair guy came by today and said that the concrete pad of the porch is settling down on the door side of the porch and is lifting the brick facade up in the front. He said that it would be $3500 to put in a new pad and repair the gaps in the brick facade.

Attached Images   
Old 02-11-14, 08:49 PM
So have you made a decision regarding what you're going to do? Not seeing the full extent of the settlement, and not having enough information or even dimensions regarding the porch's foundation, none of us can tell you how to proceed. If it was mine, however, I'd be giving a serious look at making the repair and corrections myself. There's probably close to $2000 in pure profit in the quote you were given, less than $600 in concrete/rebar/misc. material costs, and the rest in labor. I'm slightly surprised the foundation people said they'd go with a "new pad," since helical piers would be quicker and more practical for lifting the settled walls back into position.

Do yourself a favor, and get a few more quotes.

Last edited by BridgeMan45; 02-11-14 at 09:09 PM.
Old 02-12-14, 04:32 AM
S
bdge, you think there's a found/footer under that corner ? maybe a lightweight 4 - 5" pad but its virginia - not generally deep frost,,, 1st thought helical piers, too, but wonder'd if anchor clips would find anything solid to grab & stabilize,,, lifting might be another issue - 2 20' helical ramjack piers here in atl's about $ 2,500.

let's talk price - $ 3,500 - 1st, $ 600 in mtls,,, then we got 2 guys who know their work for 2d @ 2d @ 9hrs @ $16 = $ 575 + w/c, fica, suta, medicare, etc ( 35% ) another $ 200 - truck's worth $ 200 d - we're up to what - $ $ 1,380 ? sales commission, drive to job ea morning fighting traffic but guys're still getting paid, load trk w/mtls, clean out/unload after job's done, pay my guys when work's slow so i have 'em when there is, genl/product/continuing operations insurances, telephones ( office, & cell ), rent/debt servicing/mortgage, licensing/operating costs, advertising so anyone knows what you do - IF only 1 could actually work out of the back of their truck & offer taillight guarantees so your $ 2,000 is ' PURE PROFIT ' ? think we need to better define both pure AND profit,,, markup has never been considered profit,,, 1 reason most biz' fail is not understanding costs, overhead, markup, & profit,,, ever experience feelings 1 gets every monday & paychecks with YOUR name on the bottom are due friday ? pay employees but go home w/no $ for yourself ?

whatever price is agreed between seller & buy is what the job's worth,,, if the seller can't cover his costs ( both direct AND indirect ), + make a decent profit, its not worth his time & he leaves already @ a loss - he's got time & $$ just into giving the 'free estimate' let alone having a phone to which potential customers call.

don't think i've EVER called a price too high regarding work/product/service i didn't know & understand,,, have said it wasn't good value to me but that's a separate issue,,, no 1 ever complained about buying the best

i'd do it myself, too, but only' cause we know the work & do it daily,,, but, for most diy'ers, IF the job goes into the crapper, who do they sue ? who protects their interest ?

Old 02-12-14, 06:21 AM
B
Porch settling

I'm calling some masonry contractors to see how much they would charge for the new pad. My biggest concern in DIY would be the porch awning which is attached to the house. Afraid of sudden jolts while demoing the existing porch pad. Also concerned about doing more damage to the bricks. Am calling some brick masons to get additional quotes and still have not exhausted the foundation repair quotes. Was told by the first guy that my quote was only good if I signed today, when I said I wouldn't be signing today, he gave my 3 more days to decide. Thanks for the ideas.....FYI....concrete slab is about 30' x 5'. Take care.

Old 02-12-14, 08:54 AM
S
i'm not a fan of arbitrarily getting estimates but do recommend it for those who don't have knowledge/experience/who-to-call list so a good decision on your part as w/you, it annoys/disturbs me when i get a 'sign-now-price'

Old 02-13-14, 10:09 AM
blaisers99 -

I lived in the Tidewater area of VA and it looks like the home I owned for about 4 years. Luckily for me the porch was not treated and built as a "decoration" and as a ral part of the house. Despite being a few feet above the inner waterway, I did have a problem, but the builder may have been aware of the "squirrely", unpredictable soils in that area.

Get a professional to determine what the problem is before you go out shopping for prices and hopefully solutions. If not you will not be able to find out what is going on and what may come next.

Dick