Possible Foundation Issue

Old 02-15-14, 12:54 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Possible Foundation Issue

I am a new homeowner. Recently I have noticed to corners of my concrete slab have started cracking. One to the point to where a 2 inch section has fallen off. In the same spont there is a 2 inch crack in the brick. I have no horizontal or verical cracks in the foundation or brick masonry. There are a few smaller superifial scracks in loan bricks high up. I also have a 1/16 inch of a crack eminating from a window horizontally toward the wall. My home inspector had told me not to worry. Please let me know your opinions on the situation. Thank you.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-14, 02:34 AM
new to home ownership OR owner of a new home ? inspector my a** ! who recommended this jabonie ? his pro qualifications were what ? its personally disheartening seeing so many making life's largest purchase w/o being truly informed + having some sort of a backup system - parents, uncles, friends ( hgtv & online forums aren't substitutes ! )

enough ranting - you've got a lifetime of learning ahead of you it will get less overwhelming

your pics too small for me to get a good view,,, might want to revise this part, too, so we can understand wtf you're trying to describe - ' superifial scracks in loan bricks high up ',,, what's that mean ? ? ? 2" long, deep, or wide ? ? ?

' spont ' = ' spot ' ? where is the conc slab - is there a basement ? kind of difficult to help if we don't know where your ' where ' IS ! ! ! pls give us some more info - may be your inspector was right - a crack in a brick isn't necessarily cause for clutching one's chest in anguish

Old 02-15-14, 02:56 AM
Ok I apologize for my poor spelling and description. I am new to owning a home and it is something I truely did research. The home inspectors report said the concrete slab was performing well. Recently I was going ove my concrete slab I noticed that 2 of the corners were having cracking issues. One to which an inch of the concrete has fallen off. In this same corner the crack has gone through one brick. It is about 1/8 of an inch thick. I have other bricks not along my foundation that have minor cracking... meaning not deep and abot 1/16 of an inch wide. As for a back up system I have checked with a cousin who works as an engineer and he had me looking for horizontal cracks in the foundation and other signs of foundation issues. The only other thing I could find was a crack in one bedfoom window corner heading toward a wall. It was about 1/16 of an inch in width. I always try to get as many opinions as possible. There is no basement.

Old 02-15-14, 03:00 AM
I do appreciate your reply though. I am located in Fort Worth Tx and I know our clay soils can lead to foundation issues. The house is a 2 story and was built in 1995.

Old 02-16-14, 07:29 PM
I suspect your home inspector was chosen because he was the cheapest (or very close to the cheapest) guy around. To tell you not to worry when your house's slab may have serious issues is the sign of someone who lacks enough training or experience to know what he's looking at. A better response would have been for him to tell you to have the slab evaluated by a structural engineer, to make sure the visible cracks are not indicators of more serious problems.

Even though the photo is too small to see much detail, that vertical crack just to the right of the corner is not a good sign. If you hear a hollow sound when you tap on the concrete (with a hammer) along the slab face that's at right angles to the plane of the photo, it means the concrete is delaminated along the crack and pulling away from the main portion of the slab. Things are complicated by that portion of the slab being at least a partial bearing surface for the brick veneer above it, making a proper repair more difficult. Not impossible, just a bit more involved.

Old 03-02-14, 02:18 PM
I have a somewhat similar problem. I began a year ago working under the one end of my house. The previous owner had a issue with a neighbor pumping water over on this property. Consequently washing out a large section of ground around the foundation. The whole end of the house sank about 4 inches as the (what they call a foundation) had buckled and basically fell out leaving that whole portion of house supported by just a few columns of cement blocks. Anyhow ive raised the one side of the house to where its level, and supported by 4 columns ive poured under the house in that area. Ive also poured a new foundation in that area and have the house setting back down on it. And i did this without tearing off that whole section of house. My next problem is the opposite corner of that section of house. I need to raise the house about 3 inches on that corner. Problem is theres only 12 inches of room under that part of the house. My plans are to take the floor out and raise that side by the trusses and wall with poles and steel beams. i have to redig the foundation and pour concrete there also. My room i have to work with is very limited.About 6 feet to property line and the vacant land behind it is a steep downhill incline so getting machinery back there to assist in doing this is next to impossible. So its going to be all handwork. Id be open to any suggestions in this as its going to be pretty tough to work in that tight of space. Here in se ky people didnt believe in digging foundations very deep maybe a foot if that. Im trying to put in at least 30 inches deep concrete foundation. Am i biting off more than i can chew? I have plenty of know how to do foundations but have never encountered anything like this before. My first thoughts were some people shouldnt be allowed to have building tools when i seen the slipshod job that was done on this. The house is about 70 years old

Old 03-28-14, 01:20 PM
New House 4 Months old See a vertical crack in foundation should i be worried

Have just bought a new house 4 months ago now i see this crack in foundation have showed to the builder the builder says it is a shrinkage crack and will not have any issues.have attached pics Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 1237
Size:  50.9 KB
Should i be worried or this is normal. Have 10yrs RWC warranty on structure from the builder

Old 03-28-14, 02:27 PM
I disagree with your builder's assessment of this being "just a shrinkage crack." Generally speaking, shrinkage cracks are somewhat narrower, and there won't be just one of them, but usually several, and often located in a random pattern. The builder's "shrinkage crack" excuse has been used so many times, and effectively, that it just rolls off his tongue without thinking. The fact that the crack is wider at the top than the bottom indicates that the slab is moving, with the crack probably located near a corner of the house that is settling.

I don't think it's something to worry about, without knowing what caused it and if the causes pose a more serious threat to the house and foundation. The only way to determine that is to hire a (third party) engineer to evaluate your slab and provide you with a report. Preferably a licensed, professional engineer having a structures/materials background.