moisture on inside of foundation

Old 02-20-14, 11:14 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
moisture on inside of foundation

Hey everyone. I recently ripped up some old carpet and noticed the tackstrip in one area was all rotten. I touched the drywall there and it was very soft. Cut it open and there was obvious water damage. The steel stud was rusted and insulation was moldy. I opened up the bulkhead next to the wall and the cap on a drainpipe clean out was loose and had water dripping out, i figured that had caused the water damage. But after letting it dry for a few days i noticed the area was wet again. There has been some sort of parging on the inside of the foundation but its flaky and you can feel moisture on the wall, there is also a rock in the foundation and there seems to be some small holes behind the parging. The outside of the foundation seems to have no waterproofing on it even tho its below grade. Im guessing i should dig on the outside and waterproof it? Pictures attached. Thank you

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-14, 03:26 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Look for hairline cracks in the foundation, in that area. Also, look at the pitch, of the ground & the condition of the gutters & downspouts.

Old 02-22-14, 06:01 AM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
moisture is 1 thing but you've got water !

should you dig on the outside ? IF you do & locate the wtr leak spot then properly waterproof the area, what happens to the water next time ? all you've done is stop the leak in 1 place which allows collected wtr to find another spot into which it can leak,,, knowing this, its always best to stop the wtr prior to entering a structure rather'n manage it after

Hey everyone. I recently ripped up some old carpet and noticed the tackstrip in one area was all rotten. I touched the drywall there and it was very soft. Cut it open and there was obvious water damage. The steel stud was rusted and insulation was moldy. I opened up the bulkhead next to the wall and the cap on a drainpipe

i'd suspect a clogg'd drainpipe 1st ( roto-rooter 'cept its probably ads 4" corrugated pipe & rotating heads often tear up pipe like that ),,, probably a power snake's best

depending on the home's age, it probably has code-rqd 3mil asphalt emulsion coating for dampproofing which's NOT waterproofing

how deep is the top of the footer outside ? you need to be 5" below that + plan on evacuated any collected wtr either by draining to daylight ( downhill thru gravity ) OR installing a sump & pump.

expensive ? i don't know as that's a relative term - however, we often install ext pumps + retro waterproofing in atl on below-grade condominiums we're the only co that will undertake thos projects as all the others dig inside & install pumps

Old 06-02-14, 08:51 PM
moisture damage on exterior wall

I don't know a thing about home maintenance, but I believe my house has a moisture problem. My dear husband disagrees. I would greatly appreciate an expert's opinion on these photos of my back porch. Thank you!

Attached Images