Is it necessary to put rebar in this footer?

Old 03-01-14, 01:27 PM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it necessary to put rebar in this footer?

I'm laying a small block wall in my back yard. It is a total of 22' long and is "L" shaped so one side is 11' and the other is 11'. It is only going to be 3 courses tall. I'm using standard 8x16x8" block. I dug the footer 16" wide and 1 foot deep the length of the footer. Does this wall need rebar? I live in Tucson, AZ so there is no frost in the ground here.

Thanks.

Old 03-01-14, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It sure wouldn't hurt even if not required...esp if it's gonna have any weight against it. Every other block or so would be fine....then fill the voids with mortar.

Thats what the contractor did when he built my retaining walls.

Small expense for the peace of mind.

Old 03-01-14, 03:51 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 720 Likes on 631 Posts
If you mean rebar in the footer itself, I'd rather play it safe and use rebar. It's a small expense and you only have the one chance to use it.

Old 03-01-14, 04:11 PM
S
In the footer

Yes I mean in the footer. I already poured the footer without concrete unfortunately. All the DIY articles I read didn't mention rebar in the footer so I didn't even think about it until I saw a footer being poured afterwards. It was for a much bigger wall (6+feet). This was after I poured mine. I would have done it if I would have thought about it even if it was overkill. I hope it will be alright.

Old 03-01-14, 04:15 PM
S
I should add that it is not a retaining wall. It is just a free-standing bench wall.

Old 03-01-14, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I already poured the footer without concrete unfortunately.
Could you clarify that?

Well...if you meant in the footer...and it's already in place...not a heck of a lot you can do. It is what it is.

Old 03-02-14, 05:03 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 720 Likes on 631 Posts
I'm guessing he meant poured the footer without rebar ..... kind of hard to pour a footer without concrete.

The main purpose for the rebar is to keep the footer from cracking and having a section moving. Unless the wall is being built on fill or otherwise unstable ground, you'll probably be ok. If you are overly concerned you could lay a course of lintel block and fill it with concrete with rebar.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: