Old 03-20-14, 01:11 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
backyard is all cement.. unleveled need to remove it or level it

Good day everyone,
Name:  20130930_103033.jpg
Views: 1282
Size:  47.0 KB
I am 27, work in IT. I like being hands on, but I don't have much experience. That being said, i was in the service and i'm not afraid of a little hard labor.

I just moved in to this house, my first home. The backyard is all concrete which would be nice if it were all leveled, its not. There is an imprint where the garage was. Bank tore it down, cheaper for them to tear down than to repair it. So there is an imprint right smack in the middle..I think the best thing to do is to remove it, any other suggestions? Also, what would be the best approach. I was thinking of starting by sections with sledge hammer and reusing the bigger pieces of concrete.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-14, 01:44 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 300 Votes on 266 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

That's a lot of concrete to remove
It can be done manually although I'm sure my old back wouldn't like it

Have you considered erecting a new bldg? You may or may not be able to resuse the existing slab/foundation but it IMO that would be worth looking into.

Old 03-22-14, 04:47 AM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
we're serious diy'ers who get paid for our work,,, diamond saw it into 4'x3' pieces, get a bobcat w/forks & a roll-off container, & be done in a day,,, OR hire the work out,,, using a bosch breaking gun will make you 58yrs old SOON,,, this is NOT ' little hard labor ' ! ! !

Old 03-22-14, 05:01 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 300 Votes on 266 Posts
I'm not sure you can load and have concrete hauled off in a job site dumpster, I was on one job where they loaded the the dumpster and called the company to haul it off. I don't remember what was in the dumpster but the truck driver made them unload a significant portion before he'd load it on his truck.

Old 03-22-14, 07:16 AM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
no matter where, TONNAGE is the keyword ! we never fill containers to the top either,,, what good does it do to fill it then have to unload 'cause the trk either can't pick it up OR they're overloaded ?

Old 03-22-14, 09:16 AM
Super Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 33 Posts
IMO removing all the concrete would move in the direction of improving the value of your property.
At some point you will likely sell the house and if you don't remove it the new owners will be here asking the same question.

If you want to do some or all of the removal yourself you will save a lot of backbreaking labor by drilling a series of holes to help break it all up.
If you were to make holes spaced on a grid of twelve inches or closer it would break up much easier and make the smaller pieces easy to move, either by hand or with skid steer.

A large size SDS hammer drill would do it and an inexpensive one should last more than long enough to do this job.
If the slab looked like swiss cheese then renting large electric jack hammer like a "Bosch Breaker" would have it all busted up in no time.

Image courtesy of harborfreightdotcom