S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bringing Coping Flush with Pool Deck

Name:  coping 1.jpg
Views: 2563
Size:  49.8 KBName:  coping 2.jpg
Views: 1908
Size:  50.2 KB

I am trying to resurface my concrete pool deck and coping. I have removed the old coating, which was used bring the back edge of the coping flush with the deck, which in many areas was raised above the coping (as much as 1/2" in some places). I am considering using RapidSet Cement All to float the coping back flush with the concrete before resurfacing.

My question is how best to maintain the control joint between the deck and coping. I figure one way is to go ahead and screed the RapidSet from the top of the coping to the deck, apply the resurfacer, then come back and saw cut the joints. Would it be better to clean out the joint now and insert some sort of filler material, then remove it later and apply joint sealant?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-14, 05:27 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
Did you remove the coping? Looks like it is still in place in the photo's. Further explain what you mean by "RapidSet" so that everyone is on the same page (there are multiple fast set mortars and patches).

From the pictures I see, that someone floated material onto the coping to account for the fact that the coping was lower than the decking by about a half an inch. Is that the correct assessment?

I don't know how you will clean the coping sufficiently to have it look finished short of replacing it and bringing it up to grade.

Old 03-25-14, 05:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,042 Votes on 966 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I have the same coping on my 40+ year old Sylvan pool. With age some of them have come loose and needed resetting. Here in NJ we have major winter cold so a full expansion joint is needed. The original composition board that was used between the deck and the coping was completely rotted away. I removed it all and used foam backer rod which is a round piece of foam that is pushed down into the seam. Then a rubberized compound was poured into the joint. Made a beautiful expansion joint.

It looks like you actually need to replace and raise your coping.
How old is the pool ?

I have an enclosed patio where I used redwood as the expansion material. I had wanted to use it around the pool but was told it would not allow for enough expansion in our weather.... it may in yours.

Old 03-25-14, 08:48 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the feedback and questions.

The coping is still in place, and will remain. It has not moved at all, and is in good shape. The pool was built in the early 70s.

My intent is to use RapidSet Cement All: Rapid Set Cement All 55 lb. Multi-Purpose Construction Material-02010055 at The Home Depot

I would screed the material from the top edge of the coping to the edge of the pool deck. So, rather than having a curved profile for the coping, it would be a flat surface slanted away from the pool. That would give be two flat surfaces with an inflection point where the coping meets the deck, which is where I would saw cut a control joint.

The previous coating was roughly 1/2" thick against the concrete (in most places, flush in others), and covered the entire coping. The part that is bare in the photo is where it was thin enough for me to remove it with a pressure washer.

Old 03-25-14, 10:59 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Feather-edging a cementitious patching material is never a good idea (despite what the manufacturers claim), as there's not enough meat in place to resist even light loadings. Your being able to remove it with a pressure washer is evidence of how poorly it performs when too thin and not properly bonded. Also, the first photo indicates to me that your coping is not "in good shape." Decent shape for its age, but the cracks visible in that photo indicate that it is beginning to deteriorate. The chlorine in your pool's water is getting in and hastening corrosion of any internal reinforcing steel, too.