How to remove about 1cm of concrete driveway so water can drain?

Old 04-05-14, 06:25 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question How to remove about 1cm of concrete driveway so water can drain?

Hello,

(See attached image below.)

I have a concrete driveway that does not drain well. Every time it rains, there is a big puddle at the spot where we get in/out of the car.

The puddle is close to the end of the driveway... so I thought maybe there is a way I can "scratch" or "cut" a little trough or drain path for the water.

It would need to be about 1cm deep on the end that exits the driveway.

The problem is that I have no idea how to create such a drain channel. Or is there some kind of "sander" tool I could use to do the job? (Like sanding wood, where I would run the "concrete sander" over and over the path where I want to make the drain channel...)

Thanks!
Name:  driveway.jpg
Views: 9480
Size:  34.1 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-14, 06:41 AM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
I have a rotozip with a diamond blade attachment that I have used to cut channels in cement. however, any diamond blade that is attached to a circular saw should get the job done. You will have to keep on top of small channels as they will tend to catch dirt and clog on you.

If your soil has really good drainage, you may be able to drill a couple of holes down through the driveway and let it seep down

Old 04-05-14, 06:57 AM
H
I thought about drilling a hole in the driveway in the center of the puddle... but I think it would constantly be getting plugged with dirt, etc. (The hole would be right in the path where the tires roll over, and the water running down to the puddle would bring the dirt...)

A little drain channel wouldn't be much better, but it would be much easier to clean out the blocking dirt. (Use a couple of broom sweeps instead of having to finesse dirt from a small hole.)

Old 04-05-14, 08:22 AM
Received 226 Votes on 201 Posts
Use a chisel and cut a small groove.

Old 04-08-14, 01:48 AM
P
There is a control joint right there that would work perfectly as a drain channel. Just buy a cheap 4" angle grinder (about $25) and a diamond blade (about $12) and deepen the joint a little so the driveway end of it is deeper than the garage end. You will have to cut a channel through the little concrete curb too. The water should flow nicely.