Crack between concrete ceiling and wall. Old House. Monolithic Pour

Old 04-06-14, 11:34 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Crack between concrete ceiling and wall. Old House. Monolithic Pour

Hey,

This is the room underneath part of the patio outside and part of the concrete slab running up to the garage. Water leaks through when it hits the spot between the house and the patio. I should repair this from the top, but how do i repair it from the bottom? Should i let a tradesman do this or can i do this myself. I would not want it to come down on me when i chisel it away.

http://i1349.photobucket.com/albums/...ps01e6cd72.jpg

http://i1349.photobucket.com/albums/...psf4c5d21c.jpg

http://i1349.photobucket.com/albums/...psdcc4e35a.jpg

Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-14, 02:43 PM
B
ah 55 views and no replies

Old 04-06-14, 03:29 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
No paid help here and it is Sunday. You need to give it time for someone with the answer to read it.

Old 04-06-14, 03:38 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 601 Votes on 555 Posts
You said it yourself. It should be attacked from above. Especially in Wisconsin you need to prevent the water from entering in the first place instead of letting it in and trying to stop it from getting out on the bottom. I'm thinking a easy fix from below will actually make things worse.

Old 04-07-14, 01:54 AM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
stopping water inside won't prevent it from leaking in outside,,, you just won't see it til it shows somewhere else OR does its damage unseen,,, unless you seal outside & redirect the water, nothing'll work

'monolithic pour' ( monopour / unipour ) is defined as 1 piece foundation/floor,,, what makes you to think yours is 1 ?

Old 04-07-14, 05:42 AM
B
I believed mine is one because many other areas were poured as one. The room below the garage and the garage floor and the walls above are all one pour as the slabs do not sit on a ledge. That is why i figured they did it almost everywhere in the house.

Old 04-08-14, 12:14 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Your photos don't show a monolithic pour. Even my old, feeble eyes see a construction joint between the concrete walls and ceiling, meaning there were two separate placements. Speaking of which, those spalled areas at the tops of the walls should be repaired before things degrade to the point of requiring complete wall removal and replacement--a very expensive operation, the financing of which you won't be happy with, unless you're independently wealthy or on very good terms with your banker. I agree with the others that the water should be stopped at the top (on the outside), instead of dealing with it once it's inside the foundation members.

Did you ever get your garage floor problems resolved?

Old 04-11-14, 03:55 AM
B
Yes, I did actually. We had a company come out who removed large areas of the concrete and repoured it. They fixed all the cracks and then added a poly over the top so water cant hit it anymore. Looks great now. Ill upload some pictures.