Is rebar really needed?

Old 03-06-01, 09:45 PM
Visiting Guest
Arrow

Please help. I am wanting to build a small deck/patio area in my back yard. It will not be touching the house or any other structures. I plan to make this out of concrete and it will be about 10x12 with a depth of 4 inches. My question is this..... is 4 inches deep enough and should I use rebar in the concrete slab? I also plan on renting a ground packer before hand to try to stabalize the dirt...will this all actually be necessary? Thank you in advance for any information you can give.

MysTree

Old 03-06-01, 10:34 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
4" is standard. Generally no for rebar, but you may wish to lay 8 gauge welded wire fabric and then have plastic fibers added to the mix. The plastic fibers help to control cracking. If it does crack the welded wire fabric will help to control separation.

Compaction is an essential step. Think of it this way would you rather walk on hard firm ground or unstable mushy ground. Uniform support reduces stress. Remove all organic material (including tree roots) also. Rotting material creates voids. Excavating for and adding a 4" layer of compacted masonry sand will help to compensate for ground movement.

You may want help with the pouring and finishing stages.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: