Widening asphalt driveway with gravel

Old 04-10-14, 05:15 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Widening asphalt driveway with gravel

Hi all, my wife and I just bought our first home. We have an asphalt driveway that we want to widen by eighteen inches on one side.

I have read that you can do this by digging out a couple inches of earth, putting down weedblock, then: compacting the earth, adding big gravel; compacting the big gravel; adding small gravel; then compacting the small gravel.

Is there any reason why, instead of renting a tamper/compacting machine, we couldn't just lay down gravel, then drive over/park on it it till it's sunk/compacted, then lay down more gravel?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-14, 05:22 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 599 Votes on 553 Posts
What you describe is the poor man's approach and what most people do. When digging it's best if you can get down past the topsoil and I would go at least 4". You can put in a couple inches of stone then drive the car back and forth to compact then add another couple inches. Generally I use "crusher run" with is a stone mix that varies by quarry and region but for me it is a blend stones up to 1 1/2" all the way down to dust. The various sizes fill all the nooks and crannies and it compacts well to form a solid base. It's what is often used on gravel roads.

Old 04-10-14, 05:48 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 300 Votes on 266 Posts
Both crusher run and it's smaller cousin, chat have a good deal of stone dust in it. The dust kind of acts like a binder to fill the voids between the rocks. IMO it's preferable to 'washed' rock. Stone dust will track more but after it's been rained on a few times the dust pretty much stays in place.