Widening a driveway with flagstone.

Old 04-11-14, 08:12 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Widening a driveway with flagstone.

Hi all,

Iím planning a small project to widen my driveway, hoping to get some advice based on your experience. It is a single car, concrete driveway that leads to a two car garage. I drive a pickup which is parked outside Ė my wife needs to cut through the grass in order to get in/out of the garage. Iím thinking about adding a 2-3 feet of flagstone, which should be enough to solve the problem with dying grass. I live in Houston area, with dense clay soil (rock-solid when dry). Iím thinking to use 2-3 inch gravel base (crushed limestone or granite) and a light color limestone to match stonework on my house. Is there any minimum recommended thickness for flagstone pavers to withstand vehicle wheel load (SUV), any specific type to look for? Would polymeric sand work well for the joints?

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-14, 04:10 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What's the PSI rating of the pavers? Is a gravel base sufficient? A cement base may be needed. Check with the manufacturer.

Old 04-13-14, 03:05 AM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
go find a masonary supply yard,,, pavers have a compressive strength of conc which's what they are,,, flagstone's got little flexural strength & will crack,,, sand's swept into the joints & water'd then allow'd to set up ( may need to do it 2x ),,, i'd bet @ your house you'd only need 4" screened gravel compacted base ( various terms - crusher run, run of crush, graded aggregate base course, gab, gabc )

have at it & good luck !