Used sikaflex to fix crack

Old 04-12-14, 11:30 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Used sikaflex to fix crack

I used Sikaflex Concrete Fix to seal a crack on my pool deck. The problem is I didn't know that Sikaflex Concrete Fix won't accept stain and this is a stained deck. Is there any kind of primer (or anything else)I can use to stain over the repaired crack or am I pretty much stuck with switching to a painted deck? Any help or recommendations you guys can give would be greatly appreciated.

Jim Boy

Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-14, 12:16 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 291 Votes on 259 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I'm not familiar with Sikaflex but generally anything that doesn't accept stain won't be stainable no matter what primer you use. A solid stain might be an option. You also could faux paint the patch to make it look like the stained wood.

Old 04-13-14, 02:23 AM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
where'd you buy it - apron/vest store ? we don't often see wood pool decks - please define ' stained deck ' - acid-stain, acetone dye, cementitious overlay, integral color ?

you probably didn't know the 'flex is avail in colors, either,,, this is fast becoming 1 of life's major lessons - just because they sell doesn't mean its the right product OR that the guy knows jack**** about it

Old 04-13-14, 04:44 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm thinking it's a wood deck around an above ground pool, hopefully Jim Boy will clarify

Old 04-13-14, 09:02 AM
J
Sorry I guess I didn't give enough information. Sikaflex is for fixing cracks in concrete. This is a concrete deck with concrete stain.

Old 04-13-14, 09:06 AM
J
I bought it at home depot and yes, I listened to what the guys there were recommending. The stain is Behr and says's Siliconized 100% acrylic. The product I used to fix the crack is Sikaflex Concrete fix.

Old 04-13-14, 10:49 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Often the folks at the big box stores only have a passing knowledge about the products they sell

I assume this is the stuff you used - Sikaflex 10.1 fl. oz. Concrete Fix-187783 at The Home Depot
The caulking should be able to be coated with a solid stain although the texture difference between it and the concrete will remain, the same is true with paint. Do you know what type of stain is currently on the deck?

Old 04-14-14, 07:28 AM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
good luck - your best friend is now Father Time & sun,,, eventually it will fade & wear off then you can successfully address the issue,,, know that's not what you wanted to hear but the ' siliconized ' is the problem

i've never known stains to be successful on either joint sealant OR concrete sealants,,, think painters have mtls that will be ok for stain/paint