Mortar Parging Coming Off Wall

Old 04-12-14, 06:15 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mortar Parging Coming Off Wall

Hey Guys

OK - Last fall I did a basement walk-up entrance (so I guess walk-down) at the back of my house. Everything went very well with the project. After the poured wall and steps went in my concrete guy did me a solid that was not part of the deal and parged all the walls for me. This included the walls he put in as well as against the house.

Here's the thing. Winter set in early and held on tight and was extra cold as you all know. I wasn't able to do much more than cover it up once I got the doors in. The weather finally became nice enough to do some work today. While I was working I noticed what you see in the pictures below. On this one wall on the return, back to the door ALL the parging is coming away from the wall. All the rest is holding tight but on this area there's a small gap, and if you push gently you can feel the gap.

I blame myself for not getting any flashing around that corner before the winter came.

I know very well that I may need to re-parge to the corner but I'd really like to avoid it so am willing to experiment and would like any advice on what I want to try - That is to inject an adhesive into the void, and brace it to the wall until it sets.

Questions:

1) What creative method could I use to inject an adhesive?

2) What would be the best adhesive to use here?

3) Does anyone know why this might have happened (especially in this one spot) and how I might prevent it from happening to other parts of the wall?

All advice welcome...

Name:  wall-1.jpg
Views: 1175
Size:  35.8 KBName:  wall-3.jpg
Views: 1522
Size:  27.7 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-14, 04:04 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 267 Posts
I'd remove and redo what's loose. Moisture getting behind the stucco is the likely cause of the failure.

Old 04-13-14, 07:46 AM
T
Yeah. I hear you. Still I want to give repair a try since there isn't a crack in it. I found some long 26 gauge syringes that a can slide into the gap. Just nee to find an adhesive that's thin enough to squirt through.

Really like to know why this happened though. The wall was prepped correctly before the parge and the mortar is pourous anyhow so not sure I understand why it let to begin with. If I do rip it off and re parge I don't want this to happen over and over.

In the mean time going to see if I can squeeze Guerilla glue through this syringe...may be too thick though...

Old 04-13-14, 07:51 AM
T
Curious about something. Maybe someone knows here. We has an unusually cold winter. The basement is unfinished bare concrete wall - Not insulated yet. The house is obviously heated. Think the warm house against the cold exterior may have caused some expansion-contraction as the temperature fluctuated over and over to cause the separation? Possibly the smaller area by the door being more fragile?

If this is the case then maybe a better idea to wait until the basement is insulated and finished to do a permanent repair on the parge?

Old 04-13-14, 08:12 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Your time and money will be better spent just removing/replacing what's there. Could probably do the entire job in one-fourth the time you'll be mickey-mousing around with trying to inject and glue behind the parging. Even if using an ultra-low viscosity epoxy, the process is not likely to work, by the way--the access holes you drill will impart drilling dust in the void behind the loose material, preventing good bond between the two surfaces. Vibration from the drilling is likely to further delaminate the parging, while epoxy injection (even at low injection pressures) always runs the risk of blowing the loose coating completely off the wall. Then you have a real mess, and can start over. Except now you'll have to find a parging product that will adhere to cured epoxy--good luck with that.

Old 04-13-14, 05:06 PM
T
Fair enough. Not worth trying to glue it back.

The problems still remains as to why this happened in the first place. I really don't want to re-parge and have it come off again.

The surface was prepped correctly before so anyone have any ideas as to what caused this?

Thanks

Old 04-13-14, 06:01 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I suspect that short section of wall, being exposed to freezing temps on 3 sides, was too cold for the mortar's Portland cement component to hydrate properly before it too froze. Once that happens, game over--frozen Portland will not come back to life. None of the other walls were as small, and they were in contact with earth on their back sides, or possibly even exposed to sunlight that this one (being tucked back in the corner) wouldn't have been.

Wait for warmer temps, and you shouldn't have a problem with the re-coat. Needless to say, make sure the surface is squeaky-clean and SSD (moist, but not soaking wet) before you start.