Advice needed for updating look of foundation piers

Old 04-14-14, 12:29 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Advice needed for updating look of foundation piers

Hello,

Our home which we recently purchased dates from the early 1950s and sits on a pier and beam foundation. The front of the foundation is bricked up with a few small openings for ventilation but the back, right side and part of the side by the carport are completely open. As you can imagine, the crawlspace is a magnet for every cat, raccoon, armadillo, possum, etc., in the neighborhood. The crawlspace opening is about 10-12 inches above the ground from the bottom of the siding.

My plan is to attach a series of framed panels, a few of which can be removed fairly easily for access if necessary, using square vinyl privacy lattice to block out the animals but still allow good ventilation. The main problem I'm facing is the bottom of most of the triangular cement piers that surround the back and right side of the house stick out from under the crawlspace by a couple of inches, making it almost impossible to panel around without making it look shoddy.

My idea is to create short 3-sided stone veneer columns that will cover the visible sides of the concrete piers and provide a solid vertical wall for the panels to butt up alongside.

Any advice, tips, considerations or other recommendations would be greatly appreciated before I get started. I'm assuming I'll need to make some sort of U-shaped backing panel out of cement fiber board or wrapped plywood to prevent moisture damage.

Or is there a better, easier or more cost-effective way? I'm looking at about 8 piers that I need to tackle before the South Louisiana heat arrives.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-14, 12:47 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 267 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I'm having trouble understanding what you have are you saying the piers aren't square/plumb but taper towards the top? I'd probably use brick similar to the front to square it up. Pics might be beneficial - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 04-14-14, 01:03 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Photos of pier

Hopefully this will help. Thanks!Name:  pier.jpg
Views: 3655
Size:  46.3 KB

Old 04-14-14, 01:48 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 267 Posts
Those look like deck blocks, I've never seen them used on a house. I'd be tempted to carefully jack up the house to remove/replace them one at a time with block. Do you know if there is a footer under the piers?

Some of the others might have better ideas .... so stay tuned

Old 04-14-14, 03:04 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 607 Votes on 560 Posts
When I saw that photo of the pier I had to scroll up to see the location. Sure enough Louisiana.

One concern with skirting around the house is termites. You can see the metal plate on top of the pier to stop them. Enclosing the perimeter will give them easy access so you'll have to be vigilant about termite prevention.