How do I fill void under porch

Old 04-14-14, 03:13 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How do I fill void under porch

This is my first post and thank you for being here...

I have a small crack in my basement wall foundation that has been slightly leaking recently. From outside it is the area under my front porch so I started digging and discovered that there is a void under my front porch of about 6-8 inches. This tells me that water was pooling there and leaking down by my foundation to the crack. The ground around my foundation also needs to be built up and sloped away from the home better.

It appears there is a support down the center of the porch and that is all that's holding it up right now. The porch is basically floating on the right and left sides. There are no cracks in the porch and it is in great shape.

I know that what I need to do is the fill in the void under the porch and the slope the ground away from my foundation. This is what I am unsure of...

1 - What material should I use to fill the void under the porch?
2 - There is currently a few inches of gravel under the porch. Should it be removed or do I add the "void filling material" directly on top of the gravel.

It seems to me that I need to remove the gravel and fill the void with dirt and pack it in as tight as I can get it...

I really have no idea but I want to do it right from the start so I wanted to get a pro opinion.

I have attached some images to help...

Thank you greatly for any suggestions anyone can provide...

Attached Images      
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-14, 03:18 AM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
grouting works well but equip cost damages wallets UNLESS you're in the trade.

kenrich makes a small manual grout pump - Kenrich Pumps, GP Series Grout Pumps, Hand Operated Grout Pumps, Air Powered Grout Pumps ( gp 1 - hd ) [ no $ interest ]

Old 04-15-14, 11:17 AM
S
Is that my only option...? If so what type of Grout would I use...???

Old 04-15-14, 11:25 AM
S
I also wanted to know if I should remove the gravel before pumping in the grout? It seems to me that the water would easily drain down the gravel so it should be removed. Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Old 04-15-14, 04:02 PM
S
i'd drill 2" holes in the conc deck & pump straight down thru them,,, its MUCH easier pumping down than trying to pump UP ! also you can form the edge & fill the void much easier,,, yes, you'd have 2" circles on your porch deck when done however i'd take that any day over trying to push a chain uphill

Old 04-18-14, 01:04 AM
A potential problem with using pumped grout is that there's a good chance you'll be leaving a few voids, some larger than others, as you can't see what's happening as you pump the grout into the void. If you don't want to invest in a grout pump (that you'll probably never use again), another option is to dry-pack crushed gravel into the void, using a flat 2 x 4 to ram the material tightly into place. You can minimize the likelihood of any water accumulation under the slab if you channel any surface runoff away from the slab edges, using longer gutter downspouts or even just grading the soil to slope away from the slab edges.

Old 04-19-14, 01:54 AM
S
we just raised some conc steps using pump'd grout & we couldn't see a f'n thing but you do what bdge sez,,, who knows - maybe it'll even work,,, when you're done, tap on the deck w/16oz hammer,,, if it sounds like a drum, you still got voids,,, if you don't get rid of the wtr, you'll have the same issue down the road