mailbox >Stone< stand

Old 04-15-14, 11:44 AM
G
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mailbox >Stone< stand

hey guys,
i need help!..i have a 4x4 treated wood post solidly sitting in a bunch of concrete,,i was originally going to slide one of those plastic mailbox holders over it and call it good..changed my mind cause its ugly..my dilemma..
Can i use that 4x4 as a backbone to construct a 2'x2' x54" tall wood frame,then cover it in whatever is used to attach stone veneer to it?
thus looking like the pic when finished? i'm not a carpenter but i have the tools!!
can someone direct me to a set of plans..or,how would i build this?..i have 6 -2x4x8 pressure treated pieces of wood ready to go..thank you

Attached Images  
Old 04-15-14, 01:31 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 698 Likes on 616 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I'm a painter not a mason or carpenter but from what I've seen, if real brick/stone is used - there is a footer and block to support it. You might be able to erect a wood frame to support man made stone which is lighter than the real stone.

Some of the others will likely chime in later with better info for you

Old 04-15-14, 05:13 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
As Marksr says, you will need to pour a footer, larger than the footprint of your proposed structure. On top of that, build a house....literally. Place a treated bottom plate in the configuration you want and build the corners up, covering them with 1/2" plywood. Now you have a box. Before you finish, make framing for your mailbox and install it, leaving it sticking out about 3". Cover the box with 15# builder's felt and then metal lath, all stapled to the plywood. You can start your rock installation any time, now, using 1:5 N type mortar and sand, wet slightly.

Old 04-15-14, 08:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Instead of trying to build a wooden box, you'd get better performance in your state's wet climate by using all concrete and brick. Some of the 80" of annual rainfall you probably get will constantly try to work its way down to the wood, eventually causing it to warp and deteriorate. Once that happens, the stone veneer will become debonded, and a steady source of aggravation. Even when done correctly, stone veneer is notorious for wicking in moisture, often allowing materials under it to become water-damaged.

Old 04-16-14, 04:54 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Bridge is right for your area. I failed to notice that. You guys get quite a bit more rainfall than we do. Concrete block is a better way for your area.

Old 04-16-14, 05:43 AM
F
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
Some of the 80" of annual rainfall you probably get...
Washington is a pretty big state and we have a climate that ranges from desert in the southeastern part of the state to rainforest in the northwestern part. Yes, it DOES rain in excess of 80 inches, more like 140 inches, in the Hoh rainforest but Richland (where the plutonium for the atomic bombs was made) has an annual rainfall of just over 7 inches. Seattle, where it rains nine months of the year, averages just over 36 inches. Average rainfall for ALL of Georgia averages over 49 inches, a good 13 inches MORE than Seattle.

Godstwin didn't post WHERE in Washington he lives so ANY remarks about the rain in his area by people living elsewhere are meaningless.

Old 06-30-14, 04:10 PM
G
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well..its finished..came out ok

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: