Block Sticking out of foundation? What is it.

Old 04-19-14, 07:05 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Block Sticking out of foundation? What is it.

Hi all,

1977 house...

So I finished taking out a concrete path. We basically hated it and it was causing a small amount of water to seep into the corner of our basement foundation. Basically whoever put in the concrete did a terrible job and it was never graded properly. Anyways I found a little surprise. The concrete met up with this block that appears to be coming out of the corner of the foundation. This is between the garage and the house in the corner. Basically the corner of the garage and the house. Its like an inner corner. Next to the block you will see a hole in the top of an adjacent block. Let me know if you want me to label the photo. Anyways I can clearly see inside the block not sure if there was mortar on top that got removed while removing the concrete. I was very careful. None of the blocks are cracked or damaged. Just a hole in the top of one block and another strange block that is tall in the corner. What is up with this can I just put mortar on top? Should I have someone look at it?

Whoever the previous homeowners were though it would be a good idea to backfill the concrete without leveling the area. It was awful. Anyways now that I have this removed I am going to use the tractor to regrade it and put in a step and new door in the back of the garage.

Any help in regards to this mystery block would be appreciated. Let me know if you need better pictures.

Name:  IMG_0498.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  25.4 KB

Name:  IMG_0499.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  26.1 KB

Name:  IMG_0471.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  50.9 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-14, 07:55 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Here's an adjusted version of your first image:

Name:  IMG_0498.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  36.5 KB

Not really sure what is either though. Best guess is a stake was there to hold the form and that is just spilled concrete where the form was removed but that doesn't seem quite right because the concrete seems to uniform.

Old 04-20-14, 07:56 AM
M
Thank you. That sounds like a good guess and I am going to not worry about it much. However I did find out what to do with the hole and thought I would share. I contacted a local foundation company.

--

It is were the two foundations meet. The lower block cavity needs to be capped off.
A, Buy a small bag mortar ,
B, Wad up a newspaper ,place it in the cavity flush to the top of the block
C.Mix up a coffee can full of mortar
D, Moisten the top of the block around the waded up news paper and cap off the cavity with the mortar.
5 minute job

Old 04-20-14, 05:05 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I'd make the wadded-up newspaper slightly less than "flush with the top." At least a half-inch below flush. You don't want soggy newspaper poking through your mortar as you are trying to finish it. Since it appears to be a small void in the block, maybe just filling it solid with mortar would work too.

Old 04-20-14, 05:47 PM
M
Agreed. I will fix it and let you know how i make out.

Old 04-21-14, 03:53 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 294 Votes on 261 Posts
Looks to me like where they transferred from the 12" block below grade to 8" block above grade. Not sure why it was never filled with concrete.