concrete pavers for decorative wall/mantle?

Old 04-19-14, 10:39 PM
Y
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
concrete pavers for decorative wall/mantle?

I want to install a brick-like wall for behind my pellete stove. Can I use concrete tumbled pavers?
I'm planning to attach plywood to the studs, then use Hardybacker, steel mesh and concrete mortar.

The wall will be about 3' wide by 8' tall. Pavers will weigh about 600 pounds attached diagonally across an exterior corner wall.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-14, 04:27 AM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
IF you're only shopping @ the apron/vest stores, all you'll see is that they sell,,, head for a brick supplier OR masonary supply yard instead,,, you didn't mention what you'd do to support the addl weight which might become an issue in the future

Old 04-20-14, 04:53 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 267 Posts
Also just adding brick/masonry to the wall doesn't reduce the amount of clearance needed. To set the stove closer to the wall there needs to be an air gap behind the masonry wall.

Old 04-20-14, 10:34 AM
Y
Not worried about the clearance issue, 8" is all it needs, and it will have more thqn that.

Stadry,
The wife and I like the look of the pavers, (better yet, we agree!)

I did mention that this will be installed on an exterior corner wall, so the weight should be fine, right?

Question, will pavers stick?

Old 04-20-14, 06:01 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I'm not sure I'd trust conventional mortar to glue pavers to a vertical wall surface. Pavers are typically too heavy for adherence in a vertical plane, and most mortars aren't intended for that application as well. You'd have better luck with lighter members, such as tile designed for wall applications, and attaching same using a thinset.

Old 04-21-14, 08:49 AM
Y
I picked up some landscape block adhesive to go between the pavers. That plus it will be "sitting" on the back edge of the hearth.