What concrete repair product for my retainer wall?

Old 04-20-14, 06:50 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What concrete repair product for my retainer wall?

I need some advice on what product(s) to use to patch up my retainer wall. I have no experience working with concrete. My wall needs patching up every few years, and this time around I'd like to save money and try it myself. I realize the repair probably won't be permanent, but I want it to last a few years, and for the wall to look better.

There are 2 main places on the wall that I want to fix, and I've included a picture of each. The big crack is due to annual freezing of the ground in winter, pushing out the wall to the right of the crack. It juts forward about an inch and a quarter relative to the left side. I think it has only moved forward around a quarter of an inch in the 10 years that I've lived here, so I'm not concerned about the wall failing in the near future. I'm told it has horizontal steel bars inside.

Crack Photo by gord1234 | Photobucket

There's a product called Liquid Crack Repair (LCR), and I'm wondering if it's suitable for the crack:

LCR - Liquid Concrete Repair Complete Kit | Polygem Epoxy

With LCR, you seal the crack in front with a crack sealer, and when it's dry you fill the crack interior with epoxy cement through injection ports. The cracks I've seen in the examples are all very narrow, around 1/16 of an inch wide. The crack in my wall is up to 3/16 inch in places. Do you think LCR will work for this crack, or can you recommend a better suited product?

Corner Photo by gord1234 | Photobucket

The wall corner crumbled away years ago, and it has 2 or 3 inches of concrete built up at its apex from past repairs. Now it's starting to crumble again. The challenge here for a novice like me is the vertical surface, where any concrete applied will need to be contained while it dries. One way is to temporarily bolt on a couple of pieces of plywood, which is how the original repair was done. Is there an easier alternative? And a repair product I'm considering is Menard's Instant Patch Cement, which dries in 60 minutes. Do you think it's suitable?

Instant Patching Cement at Menards

Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-14, 07:56 PM
All of the photos show structural damage due to poor footings (depth?) and lateral loads that usually come along with a bad installation/design.

No patching will last more than a year before the patch (which is usually weaker than the original wall) will fail.

Dick

Old 04-20-14, 08:55 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
You need to dig deeper (literally and figuratively) to determine the reason(s) for the wall's failure. The concrete quality appears to be very suspect.

Continuing with "band-aid" repairs will mean just much more of the same in your future.

Old 04-21-14, 12:24 AM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
not only you but whoever built the wall but you may be the only 1 w/an excuse,,, both bdge & dick're absolutely right,,, whoever patch'd it didn't know much either,,, the vert displacement on the 1 crk's indicating soil conditions - probably wtr freezing behind the wall,,, looks as if someone's already used quik-set on the corner

polygem's decent but any repair'll fail unless the cause is address'd 1st

Old 04-21-14, 01:41 PM
G
The wall actually hasn't moved vertically, it's only been pushed outward from winter freezing. The wall height is the same on the left and right sides of the crack. I think the photo is a little misleading, because of the perspective.