Garage floor sealer

Old 04-23-14, 06:41 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Garage floor sealer

Hi,

I am converting an existing garage into a workshop. I am going to float a wood floor over the existing concrete slab, so my first question is about sealing the existing concrete floor. Can anyone recommend a product for sealing / vapor protection from outside?

Second, I am going to remove the existing garage doors and install french doors. I would like to raise the level of the interior floor. For the french doors, I would like to raise the level of the foundation...in a sense, build a 6" high concrete foundation on top of the existing slab and then build the doors in on top of that. Should I use concrete block, or mix my own concrete?

Thanks, Eric

Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-14, 04:40 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I'm not sure what you mean by vapor protection from the outside. How wide does the raised foundation have to be?

Old 04-23-14, 05:24 PM
E
I'm talking about any moisture coming up through the slab. I don't think its sealed from below, so I don't know if I should seal it from above. I'm going to build a floor over it, but raised 6-8" with traditional joist construction. So there would be a void between the wood floor and the slab. I don;t know if I should try to seal the slab with a surface sealant or epoxy, foam the voids between the slab and the new floor (or both), or just insulate with fiberglass batts and let any moisture pass through.

I want to raise the foundation where the existing garage doors are and install french doors, at the height of the new floor.

Old 04-23-14, 06:44 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I only did one job like that. I was a helper. The carpenter laid a piece of plastic, on the floor & 2x4s, on top of the plastic. He didn't use any insulation. If I understand you correctly, the raised portion, for the french doors only has to be the width of the doors & not the width of the current door? If that's correct, fabricate forms & mix your own cement.