Help with acid stain on patio

Old 04-30-14, 12:09 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help with acid stain on patio

Help-

Hired a contractor to acid stain approximately 900 sq/ft of concrete outside patio. The concrete is approximately 5 years old.

He pressure washed and then etched the concrete two days ago and then applied a dark brown stain last night. This morning I took a look and hated the results. It looks like to me that the stain didn't penetrate the concrete. A lot of areas you still see the original color of the concrete still. So what to do now...

The Contractor response was "sometimes this happens with concrete that has been exposed to the elements, you can never tell when it's going to happen" . He suggests either applying another coat of the same stain or try adding a darker stain and see if that helps.

My gut thought is adding more stain isn't going to help at all. Please help, what should I do?

Here are two photos I took this morning while he applied the neutralizer to the concrete, so that is why in some of the photos the concrete is wet.

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-14, 03:03 PM
P
Perhaps the reason the acid stain didn't take is that you're not supposed to etch before using it. Etching destroys the very minerals that acid stain needs to react with. You only etch when using pigmented or "paint type" stains, not acid stains.

Old 04-30-14, 09:42 PM
R
Thank you for you reply. So what do I do now, is there anyway to salvage the concrete?

Old 05-01-14, 03:01 AM
P
The second photo looks like acid stain normally looks, so try to get the rest of the deck looking like that. If you don' likevthat look, cover it all with a solid colored pigmented stain. Btw, the acid stain color will change A LOT when sealed.

Old 05-01-14, 03:34 AM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
some 'acid stains' aren't acid-based altho applying 'neutralizer' suggests its a diy product, not pro,,, some acid-stains are stronger as pro's know how whereas painters/diy'er's don't & have to read directions several times to reduce their head-scratching some acid-stains are stronger & need to be diluted while others are so weak you can wash your hands in them even tho they're all hydrochloric,,, pro's use ammonia:wtr ( 1:8 ) OR baking soda (handfull:5g pail wtr) to neutralize,,, was this 'system' sher-wms or apron/vest supplied ?

color comes from mineral salts contained in a true acid stain changing color of the 'free lime' in the concrete's cement ingredient,,, as previously post'd, etching uses up some avail free lime resulting in splotchy look,,, picking the right color's important ( eg, blues / greens don't do well outside ),,, no mention if there was existing sealer pre-stain ? if so, it blocks acid & wtr stains.

you have some investigating to do before proceeding to seal the conc,,, find out & post back - good luck !