Leaking Chimney Question...

Old 05-01-14, 10:19 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Leaking Chimney Question...

Hi all, I've got a leaky chimney and I have a feeling it's from a combination of no chimney cap and failing mortar joints There's a 2 year old roof on the house and the roofer has been back out to recaulk. The thing is, from in the attic, you can see it dripping from most of three sides. If it was the flashing, I think it would be more localized.

Anyway, in the picture I'll post, you can see the vertical crack as well as the horizontal joints that have a gap in them.

Does this look like it could be fixed with anything less than buying a tuck point blade for my grinder and cleaning out the old joints? What about the cracked bricks? Is there a fix other than replacement?

Thanks!

Name:  rsz_img_1683.jpg
Views: 882
Size:  41.5 KB

Old 05-01-14, 10:46 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Dark stains at the mortar joints indicate that water is working its way down from above. Does the top of the chimney have an effective crown to keep out water? If not, you should form and pour a new one, then do the brick work.

Old 05-01-14, 12:45 PM
A
Yes, the crown is in good shape. I had it re-crowned about eight years ago and looks tight.

Thanks.

Old 05-01-14, 02:39 PM
By being in "good shape," does that mean it has a nominal (2" +/-) cantilever all around, with a drip-edge (to prevent top runoff from directly accessing the chimney's brick faces)?

Old 05-01-14, 03:02 PM
A
No, there's no overhang on the crown. It's edges are flush with the bricks.

I know what you're saying and yes, ideally there should be an overhang, but considering the vast majority of older chimneys don't have one and they don't leak, I'm thinking the crown isn't the problem.

Thanks.

Old 05-01-14, 03:54 PM
I don't agree with your reasoning. Exactly how do you know the vast majority of chimneys without cantilevered crowns don't leak, or at least aren't experiencing mortar damage like yours is? If you examine your crown more closely, where it feather-edges down to the underlying bricks, I suspect you'd find it's delaminated (lightly tapping it with a hammer will give off a different sound) and not tightly adhering to the brickwork. If air can get into those spaces, so can water.

I've rebuilt close to half a dozen chimneys and crowns over the past 40 years, and every single one of them needing rework had flush crowns. And I've never had a call-back when installing cantilevered concrete crowns with integral drip edges.

Old 06-15-14, 10:34 AM
Chimney Absorbing Water

Hi, My chimney is absorbing water. I have 2/3 of it loosely covered with plastic & not sealed at the bottom. When plastic is not there, rain water enters my home on each side of the fireplace on the floor. The chimney bricks are losing their "face". The dark stains are mold which is around my entire home on the lower portion & easily seen due to the color of bricks. Incase it might matter, I do not use my fireplace. Photos should help explain ( not sure if photos attached )
Thank you !

Old 06-17-14, 10:01 AM
Chimney Leak might be better description
( I can't get pics to post )

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: