Cracking /Crumbling Stucco

Old 05-02-14, 10:43 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cracking /Crumbling Stucco

Hi folks,
Hope I got the right section for my question.....

I have a stucco wall on exterior of house (garage wall) that is cracking/crumbling at the bottom. It appears that the previous owner may have repaired it once only - judging from the straight line that runs right above the crack? This is the only part of the entire house that the stucco actually makes contact with the sidewalk.

I would like to fix this so my question is what causes this to crack and also the best way to fix it.

Any help/comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Pics attached.

Thanks!!

Attached Images     
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-14, 02:15 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Stucco is typically not very structural in nature, meaning it can't withstand forces exerted on it by other, stronger materials, without fracturing and spalling. In your case, being in contact with the adjacent concrete walkway was enough to cause it to fail. Especially if the concrete is subject to frost heaving. But even thermal expansion could cause enough pressure on the stucco to cause it to fail.

You should consider installing a flexible buffer strip (preformed bituminous joint filler works well) between the stucco repair area and the concrete. Perhaps a masonry supply place in your area carries dedicated buffer strips to form the bottom of the stucco placement, preventing it from contacting the concrete below it. A truly permanent repair would consist of sawcutting/removing enough concrete to create a gap, into which joint filler or buffer strips could be inserted. Doing so would be problematic, though, because of lack of clearance for making the sawcut(s).