Patio above brick, repairing wall

Old 05-16-14, 02:20 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Patio above brick, repairing wall

Previous owners have installed a paver patio above the dpc against the brick of the house. This has lead to our bottom row of bricks crumbling. The situation is more complicated due to us having a pool in our backyard which the current patio is level with (lowering patio will take it out of line with the pool). 2 years ago a company parged the area after we noticed the issue and they thought that would solve the problem but the parging is now off and the bricks have crumbled. The masonry company who has quoted me now has recommended replacing the bottom 2 rows of bricks on the house with concrete bricks. I'm a little gun shy given the previous money wasted. This seems to be a more reputable company, but still wondering if this seems like a long term solution?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-14, 02:50 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Can you post some pics? It sounds like water was trapped somewhere. That has to be addressed first.

Old 05-16-14, 06:40 PM
C
Here is a couple pictures. The patio runs the length of the house and there are spalling bricks along the whole length where the patio meets the brick. This is the first row of brick. You can also see where the parging previously done is coming off. The new contractor is proposing to dig down, remove the first two rows and replace with concrete bricks.

Attached Images   
Old 05-16-14, 06:55 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
If you put a level on the patio, which way is it pitched? IMO, that's the first question & the first order of business.

Old 05-16-14, 07:13 PM
C
It's pitched away from the house, towards the pool

Old 05-16-14, 09:16 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Do you what the company used to prevent more damage? Have you attempted to get them to correct the problem. A job like that should be guaranteed for more than 2 years. Why don't you call them?

Old 05-17-14, 06:46 AM
C
I have contacted them but have not heard back. I will be trying again for sure, but also want a sense of what should be done to rectify the situation so I'm prepared when I do speak with them.

Old 05-17-14, 06:59 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I don't understand why it's happening since the pitch is correct. Maybe you can remove a few of the patio stones, against the house. That might tell you something.

Edit: I looked again that the pics you posted. The left side of the bottom pic, doesn't show any damage. The damage starts as you move to the right. There seems to be a little valley there. That's where the water could be collecting.