Anyone know what these spots are on driveway?

Old 05-21-14, 11:25 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Anyone know what these spots are on driveway?

Hi all,

Just moved into this house and have been trying to figure out what these spots are on half of my driveway. Doesn't look like grease or oil and is in spots on the driveway that would be odd to have anyway. I've tried some cleaners and scrubbing with no luck. I have a warranty and am waiting on the builder to send the guy here (no idea how long that will take.....). But just curious if anyone here may know what this is, have seen before or have any ideas to clean it?....Thx and have a blessed day

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-14, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Assuming this is a new house (since you mention builder) then I also assume the concrete is pretty new?

No expert (they'll be around later) but I'd guess something done wrong in either the mix of the concrete (too much/little water) or how they worked it.

It seems like I've seen that when plastic was put down to help with curing. Odd that it's only mostly only in the upper 4 sections.

A little OT but I'm curious about what appear to be mortar clumps both on the drive and on the front of the garage (but not visible on the part of the house to the left in the pic). Did they have to come back and re-point the bricks?

Old 05-21-14, 11:56 AM
J
Thanks! Yes it is new construction. Just very odd as it seems to get worse by the day. No clue what this could be.....Have a feeling I will be waiting a few weeks for the builder to get out here....

Would it even be a good idea for me to go ahead and seal it now? Or wait for them to inspect this?

Old 05-21-14, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
You don't want to do anything to it now. So how new is it? Heck, it could still be letting moisture out. Maybe it was a much thicker slab there, or worse drainage.

If it seems to be getting worse, then thats good. When he does show up it will be worse than your pics and he'll have no excuse. The main thing is...it should be uniform over the whole surface....not mottled in one section and nice and even in another. And not spotted and mottled all over either.

I also wonder if the mortar clumps may have had some impact? Maybe they washed most off, but it left some staining behind.

Like I said...Pro's will be around later.

Old 05-21-14, 12:12 PM
P
The darker top half of the driveway looks like the concrete had calcium chloride in it to make it set faster. Was it poured in cold weather perhaps? The bottom half looks like it did not have calcium in it and cured out much lighter. Cacium chloride in the mix can sometimes cause discoloration in spots, but unsure if that's what is happeneing with your spots.
The crazing cracks (little lines that resemble shattered glass), happened because the top lost moisture too quickly. They present no structural problem.
It isn't mottled in crazy enough patterns to have been covered with plastic, although that does discolor the concrete too. But it would have crazy shapes and wierd patterns that look like wrinkled plastic if that were the case. Yours doesn't.
Have you treated your lawn with granular fertilizer lately? Sometimes the little grains of fertilizer lay atop the concrete and discolor it too.

Old 05-21-14, 12:14 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 300 Votes on 266 Posts
It also looks like to me that it's from where they laid plastic over the uncured concrete. I think it generally goes away over time .... but I'm just a painter who's painted a lot of new construction and while I've noticed a lot of the work from the other trades - I can't say for sure.

Old 05-21-14, 12:22 PM
J
I appreciate everyone's responses! I believe the driveway is no older than than 4 to 5 months.

So I guess there is nothing I can do myself to rid of it... Just looks real awful to me...

Old 05-21-14, 01:12 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 300 Votes on 266 Posts
I would think if it was going to bleach out over time - it would have within 5-6 months. Check back later and see what some of the concrete guys say.

Old 05-22-14, 08:45 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I've seen several instances of similar "blotching" on new concrete--both times, it was from contractors having an inexperienced man on the curing compound sprayer. One time the sprayer itself was faulty, shooting the stuff out in globs instead of a fine, almost invisible spray. The other time was old curing compound that wouldn't stay homogenized after mixing.

Allowing it to bleach out over time might help, but it's not likely to do much good. Possibly lightly pressure-washing would help, after the concrete has more curing time on it. See what the contractor suggests for his solution, before doing anything to it yourself.

Old 05-23-14, 11:04 AM
M
If you are unhappy with the uneven appearance of the concrete driveway you could always try using an acid stain or dye to even out the color and appearance of the driveway. Looks like there was an issue with the concrete curing properly which caused some areas of the concrete to appear darker.

Old 05-26-14, 03:25 AM
S
i'm thinking it was something in the 1st truck's barrel when it left the plant - almost looks like oil in the mud,,, have seen differences in conc w/flyash & w/o - could the 1st truck have had flyash & the 2nd NOT have had it ? cl cl's a possibility but i'd be looking to the plant for answers instead of the conc sub or bldr - someone will still have batch tickets, too

i doubt incorrect curing highly,,, based on what i know of stains/dyes, only color will change - just a different ' splotch ' in a different color after the time & $ to change it,,, which you will have done however the ' splotch ' will still be apparent - let's see what the plant says 1st

1 other thing - was it placed manually ? come-alongs & bull float ? i don't see ' crazing ', pecos

Old 05-26-14, 08:27 AM
I'm not pecos, but the crazing is visible in the lower portion of the last photo--tightly-spaced, little map cracks that appear lighter in color.

Squint a little harder, and you should see them.

Old 05-27-14, 02:22 AM
S
tnx, bdge - switched to a larger monitor, put on glasses, & squinted REAL hard

think that's just due to improper finishing - bleed wtr - blessing - not low enough wtr:cement ratio,,, do you think it explains spots & color diff ?

Old 06-07-14, 10:31 AM
T
For what it's worth, my driveway is 8 years old and I have the same spots which just started to come in this past winter. I'm following your thread with interest.

Old 06-07-14, 11:04 AM
Group Moderator
Received 205 Votes on 182 Posts
Just a green horn here, but couldn't this just be moisture in the concrete? Every spring my garage concrete floor gets real blotchy until things dry out.