Painted cinderblock chipping and crumbling.

Old 06-01-14, 10:12 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Painted cinderblock chipping and crumbling.

The previous owners of my home of two years either painted or sealed our cinder block foundation. When the weather was warm it was fine. Now, for the second spring in a row, the painted cinder block is chipping, crumbling and, in some places chunks fall off.
The first year, I used mortar and filled in the holes and cracks that resulted and painted over it. This seemed to fix it, until the next spring, the same thing happened. We are now getting ready to sell or rent the house and would like a more permanent solution. I've read about stucco over cinder block and it seem like a good choice as long as it doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Or.... do i just patch it again and paint it over. It looks fine until winter reeks havoc. I suspect moisture was trapped in the cinder block when it was painted, and this is why it's doing it. The foundation is in no danger (unless chunk after chunk falls off). If I patch it, what would work better than mortar?

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-14, 03:32 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 294 Votes on 261 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Paint on foundation block should last a long time so I'm not sure what's going on. It's probably a moisture issue but unless you knew going in that the block was too wet to paint I'd expect the moisture issue to be ongoing and needs to be figured out. Did the portions you patched pop off or did those areas stay intact? Stucco adheres well to raw cinder block but doesn't stick all that well to painted block. There is a bonding agent that can be applied to help the stucco bond better to the paint.