Problem - polymeric sand washing out of pavers

Old 06-01-14, 02:43 PM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Problem - polymeric sand washing out of pavers

I recently installed a new walkway using the Allen and Roth Bertram Alameda pavers from Lowes. Link - Shop allen + roth Bertram Sand Gray Alameda Patio Stone (Common: 11-in x 13-in; Actual: 11.1-in H x 13.3-in L) at Lowes.com

I used Sakrete's polymeric sand for the joints, but rain continues to wash out the sand.

Is this a normal problem for polymeric sand? The pavers need something to fill the fake "joints" on the individual pavers for them to look right. When the joints are filled, the pavers look like individual stones. Would I be better off pressure washing the poly sand out of the gaps and grout the pavers instead?

Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Picture of sidewalk is attached...

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-14, 02:57 PM
Those are not real pavers(smaller) that have far more stability. The large units are really embossed "stepping stones". Part of the reason pavers make such a strong pavement surface is the installation on a 1" sand setting bed with continuous edge restraint (plastic, aluminum, steel) that prevents the pavers from moving and opening joints so erosion can occur. Real pavers are very accurate and have partial height spacer bars on the side to control the tight joints. After surface sand dusting and vibration they do not move or open the joints, so erosion is not common.

With slightly larger joints (or irregular units) polymeric sand MAY be more resistant to erosion for a while.

Dick

Old 06-01-14, 03:27 PM
O
You are correct, these are definitely more of a stepping stone than a true paver. I set them on a 3" base (2" gravel, 1" sand). They are firmly in place and don't move at all. What do you think my best option is for filling the joints between the stones and filling the 1/2" deep grooves in the individual pavers? Would grout be a good option?