Brick weep holes needed for brick laid on footers?

Old 06-03-14, 10:42 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Brick weep holes needed for brick laid on footers?

The practice here in Oklahoma is to lay the brick up from the footer below the slab. This is much different than other places I have lived. Since the primary purpose of weep holes as I understand them is to let water out, i am wondering if weep holes are still a good idea for that type of house brick?

So, this means the brick goes well below grade. Obviously, one cannot just weep hole way down there. Water could indeed get inside the wall as it can any wall, and, I presume it could eventually even fill up that cavity. I suppose a so called weep hole could function more like a air flow hole in this case. Though, brick being porous, it could just as easily let the water out into the surrounding ground as well.

I can't find any recommended practice for that sort of wall. Any thoughts or ideas from someone familiar with this form of construction?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-14, 11:36 AM
Is you home built using wood frame with brick veneer/cavity wall construction that uses an air gap between the brick and the interior walls? Usually, you can find similar open gaps of the head joints of the brick to allow the intended gap to breathe, but is not always seen since the gap can be vented in other ways. Normally, the bottom vents are above grade, but landscaping can bury them. the brick is intended to shed the rain (not be waterproof) and prevent the exposure to wind pressures that can drive water toward the wall. It is the "Cadillac" of wall veneers and far superior to most siding, especially vinyl.

The main thing is what is the construction of the wall section. The problem would be if the wood in the wall was below the exterior grade level, but it would be acceptible if the inter portion of that was was moisture resistant.

Dick

Old 06-03-14, 11:49 AM
S
I can answer this. There are definitely no holes, below or above grade.

"Is you home built using wood frame with brick veneer/cavity wall construction that uses an air gap between the brick and the interior walls?"

Yes, there is that air gap. The slab of course is above grade, as is the lowest portion of the wood walls which of course sit on the slab. The walls are covered with that blue foam stuff, forgot the name, on the outside, and, foamed between the wood studs. I believe underneath the blue foam wrap is OSB.

So, there is that cavity, and, the cavity is below grade (some of it) since the brick goes down to the concrete footer. So, probably a foot or so.

So, given this scenario, is there a reason for weep holes, and, what other way is there to vent that air gap?

Old 06-05-14, 03:32 PM
S
I suspected there wouldn't be much familiarity with this sort of brick work, all articles I can find deal with the more "normal" style. Anyone know of a good forum or site where I can find a definitive answer? The Brick Industry Association does not address this in their technical notes.