Pieces of Asphalt Driveway Lifting

Old 06-04-14, 08:20 AM
N
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pieces of Asphalt Driveway Lifting

Hello, Noob DYI-er looking for some asphalt tips. I have a 1 by 3 foot about 2 inch thick piece of asphalt that I can literally lift off of my driveway. Anyone know a cheap and easy solution for patching and holding down medium sized asphalt driveway issues.

Thanks so much

Old 06-04-14, 09:32 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 698 Likes on 616 Posts
It really needs to be replaced You might try breaking up the section a little more and flooding it with asphalt sealer with the hopes that it will 'glue' it all together - similar to a chip and seal pavement.

Old 06-04-14, 11:53 AM
N
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This may sound ridiculous but how does someone replace asphalt? What would I buy?

I am a software engineer that bought a bit of a fix er up house. It's been fun but I am getting to the stuff that I know nothing about lol.

Old 06-04-14, 11:56 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Need to find out why it lifted.
Tree roots are the main cause.
Any box store carry's cold asphalt in bags. It's in the masonry area.

Old 06-04-14, 12:42 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Joe is correct that the reason for the failure is the best place to start! I was assuming it was just old and worn out. I've used those bags of asphalt patch a couple of times but wasn't happy with the results .... but maybe it was just me.

Ideally the asphalt is removed and replaced with hot asphalt which is then rolled/compacted.

Old 06-05-14, 04:04 AM
S
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you're unwilling or find it economically challenging to have the repair done by people w/know-how, equipment, & proper materials, try some superglue makes about as much sense to me as d/w sealer which has no elasticity

Old 06-05-14, 05:25 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
makes about as much sense to me as d/w sealer which has no elasticity
That's what they use around here for the cheaper 'chip and seal' driveways. The county hwy dept used to use it on the back roads before they all got asphalt. Basically they spray the sealer on the ground, spread a thin layer of gravel, spray more sealer and either call it good or repeat the process.

I have a friend that has a chip and seal driveway and as long as he seals it every year, it does good. If he skips a year there are usually areas that start to come apart.

Old 06-05-14, 06:03 AM
Received 620 Likes on 553 Posts
If you want to go through a bit of work, you could rip out the area of concern and put in new drainage stone and then put in all purposr patch. It won't be perfect but if done with care it should hold for a few years. The main trick is determining the cause as others have said. If its tree roots, remove them. If it's water then you must dig down far enough to add enough stone to let the water drain away. Compacting the ground and stone is important, it must be very firm. Most balcktop and even concrete drives fail because the ground is not properly prepared to begin with. Contracts who put in driveways do so with speed as opposed to quality. Get in and get out as soon as possible. The best way to put in a driveway is to prepare the ground and let it sit for a year. Then lay the blacktop or concrete.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: