Crack garage floor, no control-joint. Repair and Resurfacing

Old 06-10-14, 04:03 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Crack garage floor, no control-joint. Repair and Resurfacing

Hi friends. New to this forum. I found a lot of useful information.

I have 3-car garage, concrete floor, 20 years, no control / cut-joint at all, cracking several places, mostly hair-line crack to 1/8". Flaking and chipping.
Power washer water may get under the concrete?. Temp here often -4 F.

I am planning to do:
*Widened the crack (except hair-line) to 1/4" deep using right angle 4" diamond disk, inverted V shape.
Since there are no control joint, fill up the crack with flexible material (Sakrete Polyurethane self levelling sealant) instead of hard one (epoxy). That way the concrete still have room to expand / shrink a little bit.
*Resurface (Flo-coat).
Concern:
1. Flo-coat doesn't bond to the flexible crack filler?. It may peel on repaired crack site?.
2. Where the floor meets the wall, there is a small gap (wall is separating from floor). When I resurface the floor, the Flo-coat may fill-up this gap, so the floor will no longer have room to expand. Should I fill this gap with flexible material before resurfacing.
Kindly waiting you all to share your experience and expertise

Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-14, 08:16 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Besides the lack of expansion joints, footings weren't used on older garage floors & that could have contributed to the cracks. I never used Flo-Coat so I can't comment on the product. I don't know if I would do all that work until you have first hand info, from someone who used it.

Old 06-10-14, 06:14 PM
B
After 20 years the shrinkage is done? DOES IT MAKE SENSE TO CUT NEW EXPANSION JOINTS?
Washing maybe the culprit. Water seeps below the floor and frozen during winter and lifting up the floor.
I think after repairing the crack with flexible concrete filler and resurfacing, the crack will appear again. Just expect the cracks are not getting worse. AM I RIGHT ON THAT?

Resurfacing compound may fill-up the gap between the floor and the concrete wall. There are no cut-joints, if this happen there will no gap for the floor to expand. IS FILLING THIS GAP WITH FLEXIBLE COMPOUND BEFORE RESURFACING IS NECESSARY?

Thanks, need your expertise

Old 06-10-14, 06:57 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
It may not be just shrinkage. The entire structure may have shifted & that may never stop. We have no way of knowing, if the proper footings were used or not. It also could be water as you said. Look for cracks in the walls or other indications that the entire structure has moved. Are the studs still plumb? Is the space between the garage door & the ground even? Use a level to determine what else has moved. Be a detective.

Old 06-11-14, 03:22 AM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
notwithstanding the previous chain, since conc likes to be square, i'd cut the floor into properly sized jointed slabs then seal jnts & crks as you've outlined,,, toppings are thin coatings which may not fill your void - try backer rod & jnt sealant,,, no experience/knowledge w/flo-coat

ps - your crks are chipping 'cause they act as the joints that were never installed - movement causes the spalling