Hammock anchor in brick external wall?

Old 06-12-14, 09:26 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hammock anchor in brick external wall?

I want to install a hang point on my house in my back yard so I can hang a camping hammock between the house and a tree in the back yard. This would be for occasional use for overnight for me or kids over the summer and such.

House is 100% brick outside. Judging by how difficult it was last summer to punch a hole in the brick for microwave venting, I figure there is plenty of strength there. The difference being that there is both pulling down and 'out' action at play here.

Its a single person rig so max load about 200 lbs.

Is some sort of metal loop with a plate and a few expansion anchors what I need? Should I go for brick or mortar?

Thanks for any tips...

Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-14, 09:38 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
A lateral, concentrated load of several hundred pounds is likely to pull brick veneer away from the framed wall it's attached to--most brick ties are really flimsy, and not designed to resist large point loads. I suspect a long, coarse-threaded loop bolt, lagged into a wall stud, would be a better way to go.

Old 06-12-14, 09:49 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hmmm... I see.

Perhaps I should explore a pole of some sort for one of hanging points?

Just to be clear, that's 200 lbs for whole rig so half per side but need to account for some toss and turn action.

Old 06-12-14, 10:04 PM
I used the 200-lb. load to account for impact loading. Four or five kids bouncing around on a hammock is not nearly the same as a 200-lb. adult gently easing himself into a reclining position to take a snooze.

Old 06-13-14, 02:24 AM
S
NO, NOT a good idea - the brick's attachment to the home is flimsy as bdge posted,,, bricks are supported by a ' brick ledge ' or lintel,,, brick ties only prevent leaning,,, there's no lateral strength to mortar OR brickwork