No real sheathing between brick and insulation?

Old 06-18-14, 08:04 AM
D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No real sheathing between brick and insulation?

We are doing some changes to a bathroom, pulled down the drywall and then decided to replace the old insulation. Behind the insulation, instead of finding something like OSB/Plywood, or some sort of fiber board, we just found what looks like tar paper and on that other side of that is the brick.

I've attached a close up picture, hoping I am wrong and it is some other kind of sheathing that used to be used. It is paper thin and black. The house was built in 76. I've seen some other threads where people have found something called Celotex sheating, but it looks to still be much thinker and rigid then what I have.

Any ideas? I am a little concerned about the house structure now.

Attached Images  
Old 06-18-14, 08:52 AM
D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Additional info, it is only about 1/16 inch thick.

Old 06-18-14, 09:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wouldn't lose sleep worrying about it. You can take consolation in knowing that all houses in the neighborhood probably have the same thing, if built by the same builder. It wouldn't surprise me if the material was developed to be more effective in resisting the destructive forces of tornadoes in your part of the country, possibly being more elastic and less prone to tearing than conventional celotex. Also, it probably met local building code requirements when it was installed, and might still do so.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: