Stone Pillar around existing steel gate post

Old 06-25-14, 01:33 PM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stone Pillar around existing steel gate post

New member, first post. Well, as the title suggests, we currently have a dual swing driveway gate, on steel posts. There is no attached fence yet, just the gate. We would like to add stone pillars around the steel post, that creates the look of the gate being attached directly to the pillar, so as to hide the steel post. I was thinking that if we cut the stone thin enough, we could do it basically like a veneer over the steel post, with the post in the corner. Then we could use full thickness stones in the rest of the pillar. Is this possible?
Thanks!

Old 06-25-14, 01:55 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,629 Likes on 1,462 Posts
Anything is possible with enough work or money. Choosing a thin stone may allow you to build the pillars without having to cut them which would make it much easier than choosing something like a round field stone.

Old 06-25-14, 06:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the steel gate posts flex to any extent when the gates are opened/closed, it could result in your mortared stone veneer breaking loose and detaching itself from the posts. There's also the differences in thermal expansion/contraction (between steel and stone) to think about.

I think I would completely isolate the stone work from the steel posts, using solid mortared stones on their own footings around each post.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: