Mold on concrete foundation?

Old 06-28-14, 02:13 PM
A
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mold on concrete foundation?

Forgive me if this is in the wrong forum, I wasn't exactly sure where to put this thread.

I have this black stuff on a shaded portion of our home foundation, and I'm not sure if it's mold or not. If it is mold, do you think that this is just on the exterior, or could it be on the interior too?

Our family had a problem with a broken copper hot water baseboard pipe around 1 foot in the ground near this area (rebar shifted at some point against the pipe, and rubbed/cut a hole in the pipe), which was fixed around 4 months ago. But for a few months, the pipe was constantly putting out water since the system was autofilling to compensate for the lost water. It was only leaking for a few months because the system hadn't always been set to autofill, it use to be set to manual fill.

Appreciate any insight, apologize if some things don't make sense, this is my parents house and I only recently moved back.

Attached Images   
Old 06-28-14, 03:36 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 703 Likes on 619 Posts
Can you get a visual on the other side of the wall? I'd spray some bleach on the exterior and rinse it off. That will likely remove what you see. If it doesn't come back, there probably isn't anything to worry about.

Old 06-28-14, 09:38 PM
A
Thanks for the reply.

I think I'll try cleaning like you suggested tomorrow, and report back in a few days/weeks depending on the results.

On the other side of the wall there is a bedroom, shown in the attached picture. There are no signs of water damage on the other side of the wall anywhere. I took off the radiator covers, and pulled back the carpet a bit to inspect the area around the radiators. There is a small gap between the drywall and the concrete floor, ranging from maybe 1/4" to 1/8". There are some small white granular pieces all along the area below the drywall, along with some dead bugs. I'm thinking about sealing this small gap, but not sure if I should do this or not.

Attached Images  
Old 06-29-14, 04:48 AM
S
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
leave the gap - that's how drywall should be installed,,, as mark said, probably some bleach on the exterior'll get that ' stuff ' off easily,,, north side of the house ?

Old 06-29-14, 08:59 AM
A
That portion of the home faces southwest.

Old 06-29-14, 06:57 PM
A
So today I go to clean the area and there is virtually no black stuff there, as shown in the first two pictures.

I decide to water the grass in the area, got a little water on the concrete, and the water made the black spots "pop" a little more, as shown in the third picture. I don't know what to think, but I'm not too worried about it. I know I've seen this black stuff there all the time, but maybe I just always notice it when I'm over there watering and it's wet.

Attached Images    

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: