Noob homeowner paver question

Old 06-30-14, 11:51 AM
J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Noob homeowner paver question

I recently started to install a small (3' x 8') paver pad using 12x12 pavers to level the area under my grill. I have a 4-5" QP layer and am about to put in the 1" sand layer before laying the pavers.

My question is, since no one will be walking/standing on the pad, and it will protrude about 1/2" above grade, do I need to put the edging around the pavers since it is such a small area and not prone to foot traffic. Just the grill & maybe a small table is all the will be on the pad.

Thanks,

John

Old 06-30-14, 05:09 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Use a wet mix around the edge. It won't budge.

Old 06-30-14, 05:47 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,629 Likes on 1,462 Posts
I prefer plastic edging. It's easy to install and it's not prone to damage from freeze thaw cycles.

Old 07-01-14, 09:57 AM
J
But, can I get away WITHOUT edging on such a small area? That is my question.

Old 07-01-14, 10:16 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,629 Likes on 1,462 Posts
It all depends on how well you want the pavers to stay in place. Wiggling the grill, the occasional step, freeze thaw cycling and bumps from the lawnmower will try to move the pavers over time. How much it moves them depends on how you treat them. If you put sand between the pavers it will be difficult to kick them back into place but if you leave the joints between pavers empty you can kick or bump them back into place if they do move. Is it "proper". No, not really but it will work and may work fine for years.

Old 07-01-14, 06:56 PM
Received 625 Likes on 555 Posts
On any paver project you want edging installed. It's the only way that the sand will not seep out and your paver "falling" away. Try to get them as deep as possible because heavy frost will tend to make them rise out of the ground.

Old 07-01-14, 07:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Spend less than ten bucks now for a piece of edging, or spend the next umpteen years readjusting pavers and replacing sand, on a regular basis. All while patting yourself on the back for saving so much money by deleting the edging. And doing a lot of talking to yourself for the aggravation the extra work is causing.

But I have to ask--how will you manage to use the grill without standing on the pavers? Do you have extra-long arms? Or just plan to suspend yourself from an overhanging tree branch, using a body harness?

Old 07-02-14, 08:19 AM
J
I know that edging is needed but, the other half is looking to do this on a cheap a budget as possible (go figure).

As far as not standing on the pavers, the pavers are basically being installed just to level the grill because there isn't a damn level place anywhere in my yard! The paver area is just large enough to fit under the grill so I will actually be standing on the ground next to the pavers in front of the grill.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: