Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Bricks, Masonry, Cinder Block, Paving & Walking Stones, Asphalt and Concrete
Reload this Page >

Removing Columns, Windows and Doors from Load Bearing Wall With Masonry Lintels

Old 07-02-14, 04:17 PM
F
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to enlarge my Den, and would need to remove 2 windows, a door and two concrete block columns from a 1 story exterior load bearing wall (Refer to my attachment please). This new opening will provide access to what used to be the back porch (it is a heated and insulated space now). As I do not mind that there will still be a header between the old and new room, I was wondering if I could sandwich the existing header and 4" blocks above them between two(2) steel plates? I was going to drill and bolt the steel-masonry-steel sandwich together? A valid idea? Any ideas as to the thickness of the plates and bolt spacing?

On my diagram, I would like to remove the yellow and leave the green.

Thanks!

Name:  Den Header Drawing.jpg
Views: 15706
Size:  32.8 KB

Old 07-02-14, 04:26 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,179 Likes on 1,137 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

You might get some feedback here but this kind of thing is typically best addressed by an on-site structural engineer.

Old 07-02-14, 06:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,584 Likes on 1,419 Posts
IMO there is no way in ____ that would work. ...more correctly, you would need an engineer's approval of the thickness of steel, the number, size, spacing, and type of bolts... so I don't think it's a realistic solution. A more realistic solution would be a temporary support wall for the ceiling load, an iron beam placed on the existing side supports on either side of the windows to replace the concrete filled headers/lintels, and new blocks on top of the iron beam as needed.

...and this kind of thing is typically best addressed by an on-site structural engineer.

LOL. Well said.

Old 07-02-14, 11:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've never heard of building a flat steel plate sandwich before, but suspect it could be done if heavy enough steel and bolts were used. At considerable expense, both in materials and labor. A more practical solution would be provided by a rolled steel W-beam, supported on either steel or concrete columns.

Your building permit people will require an engineer's stamped drawings and calculations, so you should start looking for one you can work with (and afford).

Old 07-03-14, 07:30 AM
F
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks!

Thank you folks for your input. I found a well reviewed Structural Engineer less than a mile from my house, so I will be giving him a call. Your suggestions could also reduce how low the header hangs as well.
Thanks again!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: