Car Barrier In Backyard driveway

Old 07-02-14, 04:44 PM
T
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car Barrier In Backyard driveway

Hello Everyone, I have a neighbor next to me who has a single car garage and the drive way is only suppose to hold One Car, but they are squeezing two cars side by side and they have to get real close to my fence to get them to fit.
Anyway I am not so much worried about the fence but I have a Brand New Air Conditioner beside my fence and I am afraid they will slip off the brake pedal and hit the gas pedal and crash thru the fence and damage the AC.

I want to put some kind of Steel pipe out there and cement it partially under ground and fill it with cement
Has anyone put these barriers in themselves before, If so any suggestions on how long and wide the pipe should be to stop a car? Also How high out of the ground should it be?

Any suggestions would really be appreciated! Step by Step instructions would really help as I never did this before, Thank You

Old 07-02-14, 05:08 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,629 Likes on 1,462 Posts
I would not use anything smaller than 4" schedule 40 steel pipe. Bigger is better but 4" is commonly available. Common wisdom is to bury 1/3 of the pipe but I would do no less than 30" buried and 36" below ground would be better.

I've always been torn about how high a post should be for cars. Part of me thinks it should be 5 or 6' tall to be clearly visible out the back window of a car, truck or SUV. If you just want to stop someone coming through the fence about 3' should be high enough to catch a truck bumper.

Old 07-02-14, 05:09 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've never installed on of those but I see them all the time around gas meters, electric meters & gas pumps in gas stations. Try a building supply house. I'm sure that they are readily available.

Old 07-02-14, 08:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts
Old 07-02-14, 11:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've installed a few bollards over the years. Usually using salvage steel pipe or square/rectangular tubing, with no less than 1/4" wall thickness. Bigger is definitely better, as it makes for a much easier job getting concrete into the things and properly compacting it. I'd also swedge the embedded portions (meaning roughening up the surface with deep passes using an angle grinder), to make for a better grip with the surrounding footing concrete.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: