How to properly eliminate basement window?

Old 07-05-14, 09:05 PM
C
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to properly eliminate basement window?

I have a basement window in our laundry room that I would like to get rid. The sill is about 3" below grade. My plan is to remove the window, frame the hole with 2x6 pressure treated, sheet that with PT plywood and then parge over it so it looks like it was never there. Just wondering what sort of waterproof membrane I should use on the plywood? And also wondering if this plan is junk, haha.

There will be a paving stone patio graded away from the house across this wall.

Thanks in advance for any advice on this!

Old 07-05-14, 09:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anytime wood is used below grade, whether pressure-treated or not, there will eventually be deterioration and rotting problems. It's next to impossible to maintain completely dry conditions under paving stone surfaces. A better, more permanent option would be to either cast solid concrete in place, or even lay up solid concrete block using mortar. Then parge over that.

Old 07-05-14, 10:00 PM
C
Thanks Bridgman, since I haven't worked with brick and mortar before, I was leaning towards the PT lumber option. But I agree, blocking it up sounds like the way to go so I don't have to worry about rotting wood or water leaks down the road. Will I have to lay steel mesh on the blocks before parging them? Also, is the parging and mortar sufficient waterproofing for the few inches below grade?

Old 07-05-14, 11:02 PM
Most parging is only water-resistant, not water-proof. After the parging has cured, you could apply an asphaltic mastic below grade to make things less likely to leak.

Old 07-06-14, 02:14 AM
S
find something like abatron OR herculiner makes for waterproofing,,, they're about the only ones i know of in gal packaging,,, 5 gal - meadows has hydralastic & basf ( sonneborn ) sells hlm5000,,, have used all 4 & they're good IF YOU READ, UNDERSTAND, AND FOLLOW DIRECTIONS [ no $ interest ] good luck !

Old 07-06-14, 06:13 AM
Received 624 Likes on 555 Posts
As an option have you considered using glass block as a window replacement and paving around the window? This will give you security and still allow natural light to enter the room. If get the glass block with vent opening you cam also have the option of getting fresh air into the room.

Old 07-06-14, 07:27 PM
C
Thanks for the responses! All really good info. I like the glass block idea but since the laundry room has two other windows and good lighting, I think I'll just block it off. I started researching those products stadry mentioned and remembered I have some RedGard left over from my bathroom reno. I think that should do the trick for waterproofing below grade blocks. Thanks again for all the help!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: