New Cinderblock walls- paint versus color stain

Old 07-11-14, 11:14 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New Cinderblock walls- paint versus color stain

HELP!! I'm trying to figure out whether to paint or stain our exterior cinderblock walls. I don"t want to use a block filler (has fiber and very difficult to use)as I am not looking to cover the texture of this 4x16 block. All of the masons I've talked to around here suggest elastomeric paint. The block has cured and I'm ready to take next step. Looks like some great concrete stains out there (ex. H&C concrete stain for CMU, etc.) No peeling, chipping, appeals to me as I have over 400 linear feet!
I DO want uniformity. The wall is filled with concrete every 4 feet. I've heard there may be uniformity issues.

PLEASE HELP!!!! I'm ready to get this project done!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-14, 12:26 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 321 Votes on 285 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

A solid siding or deck stain might work ok. It would be very difficult to get an even looking coat with concrete stains, they work better on less porous masonry.

I don't understand the aversion to using block fill. Priming with block fill is the best way to get a nice looking paint job over block. While it does make a roller full of coating heavier, it's not that difficult to apply if you use a big nap roller and don't try to squeeze out all the paint before reloading. I doubt elastomeric is a viable option without first using block fill. Elastomeric paints are formulated to be applied over primed stucco or block that has previously been painted or blockfill over new block.

I've never had paint peel over properly primed clean block.