Where concrete stoop meets poured concrete basement...leaking

Old 07-21-14, 08:26 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Where concrete stoop meets poured concrete basement...leaking

Front stoop is leaking water when it rains into the basement, just under the front door where the stoop meets the foundation. I was wondering what I might expect if I were to demolish the stoop, cover hole that it would leave into the basement with steel plate and concrete, then build a deck in front of the house? Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-14, 04:09 AM
substitute meadows' ' hydrolastic ' or sonneborn's ' hlm5000 ' instead,,, then figure out how to drain off the water that's collecting there,,, i think it would be much easier on your back,,, you'll still need to dig down to where the water's entering your very fine home's basement, tho

IF you have a conc bsmt wall, consider epoxy injection w/hydrophyllic polyurethane grout,,, always think of your basement as a ship's hull below the waterline,,, or your home's surrounded by a moat & the leaking water's your crocodiles

the above is my pro opinion based on 35yrs of experience actually doing the work,,, my thoughts on your proposed method ? not much

good luck !

Old 07-22-14, 11:16 AM
Thanks for the advice. Sounds like I need a professional to fix this problem.

Old 07-24-14, 07:44 PM
Whether you live in a very fine home or just a junker, this type of work is something a typical DIY-er with average skills can do. Before demolishing the stoop, why not just try sealing the gap first, at the stoop-foundation junction. If it works, you'll save yourself a ton of work. You've already been given the names of a few time-tested products to use, so it's essentially a matter of following installation instructions, provided by all manufacturers of sealants.

If you do decide to go with "professionals" instead of doing it yourself, just make sure they aren't just amateurs charging professional prices. There are lots of them out there. Also, covering foundation holes or cracks with steel plates is not a practical solution for solving water entry problems. Too many problems when the steel corrodes and starts to swell, pulling away from the foundation and taking your attachment bolts with it.

Old 10-02-14, 07:56 AM
I had a foundation repair company inspect this leak and he quoted me $300. I think I'm going to have them fix this as long as they can guarantee their services. This seems like a good price when compared to my time and the chance of unsuccessful results.

Old 10-05-14, 07:21 AM
i don't think you'd get much of a guarantee for $300 tho i could be wrong,,, if i had to guess, they'll do some sealing which won't leak HOWEVER that may not stop the leak in the wall,,, we often lose jobs for exactly the same reason but we always say ' pay us now OR pay us MORE $$ later ! '

Old 11-19-14, 08:13 AM
I think i'm going to go with caulking cord and a hydraulic cement. Anyone concur with this?

Old 11-20-14, 03:27 AM
not me - hydraulic is expansive &, in the shape configuration you'll likely need, expect many cracks & spalls,,, told you what we'd do & we do this for a living,,, never heard of ' caulking cord ' as we clos'd cell use backer rod,,, you think you know more ? you can ' see ' the work - w/o pics, we guess,,, best of luck !