Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
form / pour small footer /foundation

Name:  footer1.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  39.7 KBName:  footer2.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  49.9 KBHello,

I have a small addition 12' x 14' that I would like to close up beneath it for storage.
It rests on 3 6x6 wooden posts atop 14" x 14" concrete footers.
I want to form and pour a footer and small foundation in order to build walls to enclose it.

My problem is this. The left most wooden post (view from outside) is 52 1/2 inches long while the other two are 57 1/2 and 57 7/8 respectively. So the cement footer on the left is higher than the other two.

I'm having a hard time envisioning a form and pour with these 'uneven' footers.

Can I pour the new footer level with the highest existing footer and somehow wrap the 2 other wooden posts with something?

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Barry

Old 08-02-14, 09:30 AM
W
Received 60 Upvotes on 52 Posts
What material will you use to build the walls after the footer is completed?

Old 08-02-14, 10:26 AM
B
Pressure treated sill plate and 2 x 6 wooden studs.

Old 08-02-14, 11:51 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Based on the slightly suspicious appearance of the column bottoms in the pix, your best plan might consist of temporarily supporting the roof structure, then cut off the bottoms of all 3 columns, along a level plane and at the grade of the top of your new sill plate. Then just form and pour a contiguous reinforced concrete footing with raised stem wall, right over the tops of the existing footings. You can then pour the slab any time later, isolating it from the stem wall and footings with expansion joint filler.

Old 08-03-14, 09:48 AM
B
Originally Posted by BridgeMan45 View Post
Based on the slightly suspicious appearance of the column bottoms in the pix, your best plan might consist of temporarily supporting the roof structure, then cut off the bottoms of all 3 columns, along a level plane and at the grade of the top of your new sill plate. Then just form and pour a contiguous reinforced concrete footing with raised stem wall, right over the tops of the existing footings. You can then pour the slab any time later, isolating it from the stem wall and footings with expansion joint filler.
Thanks for the reply.

Exactly my thoughts last night of supporting the structure and leveling everything off. However supporting it might prove to be difficult since my 'trench' will be 3' wide so the support might have to be too far 'in' and under the structure.

Old 08-03-14, 09:57 AM
S
you'll get the same answers in here as you did in the other ( 1st ) forum - what answer do YOU want to hear ?

Old 08-03-14, 12:52 PM
B
Originally Posted by stadry View Post
you'll get the same answers in here as you did in the other ( 1st ) forum - what answer do YOU want to hear ?
Different forum, different people, different ideas.

Old 08-03-14, 03:24 PM
Most roof structures will easily be carried by temporary supports which result from a 2'+ cantilever. Unless your joists are too widely spaced, and not in good condition, I wouldn't be afraid to cantilever them 3' for a short time.

Besides, didn't you know the forum police don't like you looking for ideas/answers in more than one place?

Old 08-04-14, 04:11 AM
S
you're correct - different forum, different responders, however same basic principles of construction/restruction, barry,,, evidently a more complicated solution's what you want than p/t'd 2x4's & lattice

Old 08-04-14, 05:51 AM
B
Originally Posted by stadry View Post
you're correct - different forum, different responders, however same basic principles of construction/restruction, barry,,, evidently a more complicated solution's what you want than p/t'd 2x4's & lattice
Simply looking for ideas on how to form and pour around those un leveled footers Stadry. Suggestions surrounding the finish of the project are welcome but not necessary, and no, lattice is not an option.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: