Help with matching color for crack in concrete?

Old 08-19-14, 09:57 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help with matching color for crack in concrete?

My brown colored concrete just got a nice long crack in it. I used some concrete crack filler on it hoping to prevent it from getting worse. The problem is now it looks worse then it did when it was just a crack, it stands out more. What are my options for making this crack disappear, or at least blend in better. Is there maybe concrete paint I can buy to just paint over it. I might not get a perfect match but anything would look better than this...

Thanks!

Old 08-19-14, 10:57 AM
S
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
i'm afraid you're out of luck IF you want to make the crk disappear,,, the proper repair for a crk is to saw the crk & seal w/crk sealant - either non-sag or self-leveling,,, the only tip i can offer is to get the pro color chart @ sher-wms, bring it home, match the nearest color, & have 'em make up a pint for you,,, there may be other methods but we do this work for a living - trust me, IF there were a better way, we'd know of it + charge accordingly

of course you could always have the crack epoxy injected but that's probably $500+ depending on where you live AND IF there's a tech who does that work

Old 08-19-14, 11:15 AM
R
if I go the sherman williams route, am I looking for a special concrete paint or would any paint work?

Old 08-19-14, 11:32 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I'd use their H&C concrete stain but all that will do is get the color correct, the crack as it is now will still be seen. I'd try to make a better repair first.

Old 08-19-14, 11:59 AM
P
There are countless shades of color along the length of that crack. Paint or stain will be one of them. It will match in some spots and stand out like a sore thumb in others. Trying to make a crack disapppear is extremely difficult if not impossible, as stadry said.

Old 08-19-14, 12:52 PM
R
This is what was used for the crack filler which says its self leveling. Perhaps I didn't do it right?

Is there anything like you use for drywall cracks/holes were you just putty over it and sand it down to blend it in?

Old 08-20-14, 03:09 AM
S
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
you're going to look at the pro color stack - see if they'll let you take 1 home but pls return it to the store,,, i want you to read this next sentence S L O W L Y,,,

N E I T H E R
Y O U,
A N Y O N E
E L S E,
NOR
M O S E S
C A N
M A K E
T H A T
C R A C K
D I S A P P E A R !
O N L Y
G O D
C A N !

whatever you used couldn't cover that crk even IF used correctly by the guy who invented it despite what mark posted, neither oil based OR latex stain won't be a silver bullet nor will paint,,, your best bet is to disguise it by coloring what you put into the crk - better yet, remove that stuff w/5-in-1 tool til its level w/conc,,, doubt it'll even take paint so you might have to use magic markers raymond, why do you think the apron/vest stores sell that stuff - because its good material or because diy'ers can feel good they saved $$$ by diy-ing ?

we're professional repairers of concrete & we can't do it either,,, + there's a possibility its now not a crack but a joint instead,,, is there a crk in the bottom of the nearest tooled joint ? good luck !

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: