Creating a turnaround and fixing driveway.

Old 08-23-14, 08:29 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Creating a turnaround and fixing driveway.

I'm looking to get a few projects done before winter. I didn't want to make too many threads so I thought I'd post them both here.

1.) My main priority is to create a turnaround off my driveway before it starts to snow. Last winter the ground would get wet and our cars would get stuck in the mud. This also made tracks in the yard (see pics). I'm thinking I could dig this up and do some sort of gravel turnaround for now. Someday I will have my whole driveway redone so I could have them use asphalt or concrete to do the whole thing (including my turnaround) later. It dips down an inch or so. I know I need to dig it up but exactly how deep? I've also read of people putting down some sort of tarp with holes it in to keep the weeds out before doing the gravel. Is this necessary? What type of gravel should I get and how much? Ideally I'd like to be able to comfortably fit 2-3 full size vehicles, hope that wouldn't be overkill and look weird though. Thanks in advance! I'd like to get this done so I can use it in the upcoming winter.

2.) Another item I'd like to fix is a broken part of my driveway. I don't have the money or knowledge to refinish the whole driveway at this time. This big bump is really the old really bad area. Obviously I need to clean up all the broken pieces first but then what is the best way to repair this? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-14, 02:32 AM
Unless you have access to heavy equipment and know how to use it, this job might be a bit too much to handle. The best advice I can give is to get a few quotes from people who make a living at (and are familiar with) installing driveways in your area. They will give you specifics on what needs to be done, in terms of depth of excavation and rock size per course. As a minimum, I expect you'll need to take out at least a foot of the organic material that's there, and place coarse rock followed by uniformly-graded, compacted gravel. Your existing asphalt probably failed because a proper base wasn't constructed first. Doing that for the first phase, and allowing it to settle a year or two, would make for a better-performing paved asphalt or concrete driveway on top of it when your budget allows.

Old 08-24-14, 05:27 AM
1st, fix the d/w & practice backing out using both mirrors OR, as bdge post'd good advice imo, your best bet is to create the parking/turnaround 1st & save the d/w for later on when your wallet recovers

Old 08-24-14, 06:21 AM
Only thing I would add to what Bridgeman said is once you have removed the organics and get to a good subgrade, is compact the area thoroughly and place geotextile fabric down before adding a base material.

Old 08-24-14, 12:55 PM
Thank you for the replies. Are you saying both of the jobs are too much? The house is pretty old so I had assumed the driveway was damaged over time. I'd mainly want to get the turn around done if possible but I was afraid if I start digging it would get way too muddy before I could finish. I had also considered using a gas powered till to soften up the area but wasn't sure if that would work. Sounds like I need to do more research on the type of rock/gravel would be needed (and I'd have to purchase this from someone) too. Or are you saying a professional should be called out before beginning to dig the turn around spot at all?

Old 08-24-14, 01:18 PM
you can dig it out yourself BUT i'd rather use a backhoe or loader,,, mini-ex but that would be slow,,, you'll need roller to compact - vibratory is better than non,,, soil stabilization fabric - compacted granular fill,,, usual stuff to build a parking lot, etc

were you thinking garden roto-tiller ? ? ?

Old 08-24-14, 02:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 131 Votes on 117 Posts
Removing the topsoil is best, then start with larger rock with whatever smaller rock you choose for the top. You could just dump gravel on what you have but it will sink into the soil and disappear over time.

A cheap somewhat effective repair for the bottom of your driveway would be to coat the damaged area with sealer, then gravel and then flood it with more sealer ..... but it really needs to be ripped up and replaced.