cement fireplace surround

Old 03-16-01, 11:56 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

I am thinking of installing a cement fireplace surround in our living room. The area would be about 6 ft. wide by 8ft. high. and would protrude about 4" from the wall. The existing surround is just faux brick on drywall. So far, I figured I would have to build a frame using plywood and 2x4's to bring the surround out from the wall. Then lay down wire mesh, similar to what is done when applying stucco. Then I would apply the cement. Here is the uncertainty. What cement / mortar should I use? How would I go about applying the cement to the frame? Would it stay on or will it flow down? How would I form the corners?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Simon.

Old 03-16-01, 10:24 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Change your idea to a plaster topping. Regular portland cement may crack or spall from being heated. A suitable cement would be high alumina, (possibly with vermiculite added). High alumina is not an off the shelf item. The addition of vermiculite would require a special mix design. In itself, cast stone is a very advanced concrete topic.

Plaster is an old and an accepted way of accomplishing your project. Remember no wood within 12" above or 6" to the sides of the firebox opening. Plywood frame, building paper, metal lath, gypsum plaster, then keens cement or a white coat. To start from http://www.usg.com download the "system manual" in PDF format (requires Adobe Acrobat Reader). Other helpful manuals exist, but selecting the system and understanding the pluses and minus is the first step.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: