Repairing cracks in concrete porch

Old 09-08-14, 11:05 AM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Repairing cracks in concrete porch

I stripped off all the old paint from our front concrete porch (1920 house). It was failing. There were also some cracks. I removed from the cracks what looked like flexible cauking compound that had decayed pretty badly.

First shop told me to use CementAll. Not a good idea, failed quickly.

Second shop recommended Rockite plus some DAP Concrete additive. I chased the cracks, primed with the additive and also used 3 parts water to one part additive when mixing the Rockite.

I was going to paint the porch last fall (Sept 2013) but weather turned bad before I could get it done. At that time I also noticed that the CementAll repair was starting to crack but the Rockite looked good.

Fast forward to Sept 2014 and I now noticed that the Rockite repair is starting to crack where the filler meets the concrete (white box in pictures).

I started to rechase the cracks in the area repaired with the CementAll (red arrows in pictures) and I'm looking for recommendations on a product that will not crack. I'm not sure if I should also redo the areas I repaired with the Rockite/DAP.

Suggestions welcomed. Pictures attached.

Attached Images     
Old 09-08-14, 11:08 AM
S
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
never used rocktite but presume its an expandible cementitious product,,, we use epoxies for conc crk repairs prior to recoating conc surfaces,,, paint is NEVER an acceptable traffic-resistant product which is the reason its never spec'd on any jobs we finish,,, as always, selecting the proper material + performing the right prep promotes better permanence & acceptability

Old 09-08-14, 11:20 AM
D
I wasn't asking thinking about the painting as such I used "paint" term loosely. Sorry. I'm going to use "Lock-Down" concrete bonding primer as the base coat, and then 2 coats of an elastomeric coating that's specifically sold for concrete. I'm hoping it's durable as the process of stripping was painful.

The Rockite box says "Expansion Cement". This is the spec sheet: http://www.rockitecement.com/specsheets/rockite.pdf

I'm all-ears on better products, especially if you can give the product name. Obviously it has to be paintable. It seems the Rockite isn't cracking but it's separating from the concrete.

Old 09-08-14, 11:24 AM
S
we use elitecrete's quik-curing epoxies however emecole has good products + they're diy-friendly,,, we have also used Roadware Inc often - the major caution is knowing if the crk is static OR dynamic - that determines the material selection - rigid OR flexible

Old 09-08-14, 11:39 AM
D
Emecole seems to be contractor only.

I was pondering trying this: PC Products PC-Concrete Two-Part Epoxy Adhesive Paste for Anchoring and Crack Repair, 9 oz Cartridge, Gray: Epoxy Foundation Repair: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

If I have any left over after redoing the failed CementAll cracks (red arrow) I'll grind out and redo the cracks I repaired with the Rockite.

It's somewhat expensive though the Amazon price is cheaper than high-street .... it would be good to know if it's likely to work. I've no idea if the crack is static or dynamic (I assume this means, is there still settling taking place?). How can I tell?

Old 09-10-14, 04:27 AM
S
could be either more settling OR it could be the cracks are actually performing as joints,,, as we all know, solids expand under high heat & shrink when its cold - patching plaster is a quik indicator of movement,,,, still shaking my head over amazon - who wouldda thought they'd have specific materials w/the necessary characteristics instead of just run-of-the-mill h/o-diy'er stuff

Old 09-10-14, 08:52 AM
D
I looked closer and it seemed the "cracks" in the areas I'd fixed with the Rockite/DAP were actually just the fill being slightly raised relative to the concrete pad. I ground the filled area slightly using an angle grinder and masonry disc and could no longer see the problem.

So I chased the remaining cracks and filled with the Rockite/DAP product.

We shall see. I check it over closely before I "paint" to make sure there are no visible "cracks" and if any appear later I'll use the Amazon product. Yes it is amazing what they sell these days, pretty much everything.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: