Non slip coating for concrete ramp?

Old 10-03-14, 03:14 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Non slip coating for concrete ramp?

I have a shop with a concrete ramp that leads in the door, which is at loading dock height. The ramp is relatively steep and gets slippery when wet or icy. The concrete is old and stained and beat up, needs some patching.

I want to paint it with something after I patch the concrete. Is there something I can use that will give it a little bit of grip? I think regular old concrete paint would make it even more slippery than it is now.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-14, 03:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 167 Votes on 148 Posts
There are grip additives [basically sand] that can be added to the paint to provide more grip. The only down side is the grip additive will wear away in the high traffic areas. You might also look at the adhesive grip strips that can be glued to the concrete wear/as needed.

Old 10-03-14, 06:41 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Normally, the crosswalk lines in the street are painted but a few weeks ago, I saw them with some type of rolls. They unrolled the lines & laid them in the street. I can't believe that they would use something slippery. I wonder if that might do the trick.

Old 10-04-14, 04:49 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 167 Votes on 148 Posts
glued to the concrete wear/as needed
should have been glued to the concrete where/as needed

Old 10-05-14, 06:05 AM
if this ramp's old & beat up, it likely has a good traction surface so the issue becomes ' wet or icy ',,, there's no coating that will negate either,,, we often use basf's ' sika guard flex-coat ' for resurfacing [ no $ interest ],,, while finishing, we broadcast #36 grit aluminum oxide into the surface,,, sand breaks down & poly particles are useless in comparison,,, this is only my professional opinion based on completing our own design/built + engineer/owner spec'd projects.

cost is relative - buy good stuff & do it right, suffer as you do now, OR create an annual maintenance item,,, paint is never an option for conc,,, it is NOT pedestrian-traffic resistant.

you might try adhesive traction strips but, impo, the jury's still out on their practicality een tho we sell & install them,,, eg, think of what you might have in your bathtub/shower [ stop-painting.com is 1 source - again, no $ interest ],,, i'd suggest municipal street lines are more used because: 1, their full-time employees can do the work; 2, no expensive equipment & skilled people are necessary; 3, someone's ALWAYS trying to save $$$; or 4, they have no idea of the service life as of yet BUT the salesman convinced buyers its the next greatest street-marking item - who knows - perhaps a combination of all 4

good luck !

Old 10-05-14, 09:14 AM
Chemsol Navy G MIL-PRF-24667

The above is what they use on U.S. Navy Ship weather decks.
I don't know about cost, but this is non-skid at the extreme.

Old 10-06-14, 07:53 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Google Rustolium, they have something just for this.
Even comes in three different textures.

Old 10-07-14, 03:06 AM
thanks for the chemsol link !