wait time before painting new block wall

Old 10-03-14, 08:16 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
wait time before painting new block wall

I built concrete block skirt around cottage. Do i have to wait 28 days for mortar to cure? Some cells filled with concrete. Remainder filled with damp sand. Painting so property tax guy does not see it.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-14, 04:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 170 Votes on 151 Posts
As long as the mortar is good and dry you can apply block fill and paint [usually the next day] If you stucco'd the block - wait 3 days before priming/painting.

Just because it's painted doesn't mean the tax assessor or permit inspector won't notice.

Old 10-04-14, 10:25 AM
Thanks very much. Only painting the part that can be seen from road.

Old 10-04-14, 10:34 AM
Stupid question, but do you normally need permits for repairs to old house? I used the skirt to replace rotten wood piers and rotten plywood skirt. Thanks.

Old 10-04-14, 12:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
A lot is dependent on where you live. Some areas require permits for everything When I moved from central fla they were discussing requiring permits for any paint job that cost $1k or more Where I live in tenn they're fairly lax in the county although some of the nearby towns are stricter than others. Often when underpinning a house with masonry you have to have the footer permitted and inspected.

Old 10-05-14, 06:14 AM
never heard a coat of paint would increase the assessor's property tax valuation,,, why not coat it w/grey thoroseal - its not paint so will stand up much better than paint,,, just in case the valuation icreases, filing a grievance will easily get it dismissed BUT the responsibility's YOURS - NOT the assessors'

Old 10-05-14, 06:59 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The OP replaced rotten wood underpinning with concrete blocks which could affect the tax assessment.
The $1k paint job permits were all about tax revenue, many of the bigger paint contractors were fighting it when I moved - I don't know if they were successful.

Old 10-05-14, 07:17 AM
possible, mark, but i'd still watch for assessment increase notices & act accordingly,,, we agree its all about revenue