Gap between brick siding and door jamb

Old 10-05-14, 03:14 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gap between brick siding and door jamb

Hey guys, this will be my first post of probably many regarding a 1923 Arts & Crafts style home I recently purchased in Detroit to rehab. In this photo, you'll see a space between the brick siding and the door jamb on the side door of the house. What is the correct material to fill this up with (if any)? As is, it looks like a nice invitation for pests and snow. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-14, 04:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 303 Votes on 276 Posts
Can't really see how big the gap is... if it's around 1", I would probably remove the brickmould and rip down some 5/4x6 Azek into strips that are exactly 1" x 2 1/2". Then shoot that onto the sheathing and door jamb. Then put new brickmould on top of that.

But the way it looks, that whole door could be replaced. Looks like a hollow core interior door with no threshold weatherstrip that has been put on the exterior of a house. If you did replace the door, you'd probably want one that's for a 6 9/16" wall thickness so that you could cover up that get entirely when the new door goes in.

Old 10-05-14, 07:42 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Great info, thanks. I plan to swap this door out for a steel door with a fan window in the top anyways, so I'll make sure to find on with the appropriate depth jamb.

Old 10-06-14, 04:30 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 169 Votes on 150 Posts
The gap normally gets caulked. Before you buy a steel door - make sure it will fit! Sometimes on older houses the opening won't accommodate a standard door. Wood doors can be trimmed to fit but metal can't. If you must use a wood door, be sure to seal the top and bottom!