Questions about base under a paver stone patio

Old 10-13-14, 07:14 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Questions about base under a paver stone patio

Hello,

I am building a patio with paver stones, roughly 20x16. I am building it on rocky clay in New England. I have dug out my soil and plan to put geotextile fabric over the clay before I lay my crushed stone and dust. I have a few questions and am grateful for any guidance:

~Is the fact that the clay is rocky going to cause any problems? I have removed as many rocks as I can but it is impossible to remove them all.

~Can the depth of my crushed stone base fluctuate so long as it is always at least 4" deep? After excavating and removing stones the soil bed is not a consistent depth- some areas have space for 4" of crushed stone but some areas could go as high as 8" or maybe even 12" of crushed stone. Is this ok? Does it matter if the soil bed is not perfectly even so long as it is compacted, has geotextile fabric over it, and the crushed stone is lever after installation?

~The patio will slope down 4" away from the house over 16 feet, which I believe is a good slope? I've also read that 2" over 16 feet would work?

~Lastly, the water will drain right towards my detached garage (an old 2-horse carriage house that isn't nearly as nice as that may sound), which has a concrete slab floor and no foundation. There will be about 12" between the end of the patio and the garage. My plan is to dig a canal here to collect the water and move it to another part of the yard to drain. Is this a good idea or am I asking for trouble having the canal so close to the garage? The setup of my yard makes it nearly impossible to have it drain in any other direction.

Thanks for reading this and many thanks for any feedback!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-14, 03:21 PM
Having variations in the sickness of your crushed stone shouldn't be a problem at all as long as you compact it fully before letting your pavers. Having some racks in the soil beneath it also shouldn't be a problem. I would probably go with the 2" slope incentive 4", that's plenty of slope and will make the patio look better. Without seeing what you have it's going to be hard to comment on the water draining.

Old 10-13-14, 03:41 PM
Thank you!! I agree that a 2" slope would look better but was afraid it may not drain enough. It's nice to know 2" will work- I think I'll go with that.